Author Topic: FreeBSD 6.0?  (Read 1022 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
FreeBSD 6.0?
« on: 11 April 2006, 01:29 »
Anybody got it?  How is it?  Better than 5?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: FreeBSD 6.0?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2006, 12:46 »
I have it installed. On my old satellite broadband connection FTP transfers would be slow as fuck (half a k a second, and if I'm lucky it won't fuck up before it's finished (which is a long time)), and every second FreeBSD package I went to get would come by FTP, so I wasn't arsed to use it (main reason I wanna try FreeBSD is for their ports and package management, and there's loadsa packages I would've wanted installed but couldn't get).

But, I'm getting ADSL soon (better be here tomorrow, at the latest Thursday), so I cannot wait to get into FreeBSD and setup a decent system.

The big thing in 6.0 I wanted was the nvidia ethernet driver, like the forcedeth driver in Linux. I needed that at the time (but not any more with the wireless network (and yea I checked that my wireless card is supported)).

So I couldn't use FreeBSD without loads of effort for various reasons for the past ages but in the next few days I should be able to, \o/
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2006, 10:41 »
I've been using it since 6 BETA. I'm now on 6.1 RC0 on my new dual core machine. FreeBSD 6.x is pretty much 5.x with alot of the bugs (I never experienced them myself) fixed. It has much better SMP performance - suposedly comparable to linux 2.6.
:)

Jack2000

« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2006, 21:27 »
wireless network
... can you like emulate an ngage/psp or something with wireless
support and play console <-> Pc
like ?
maby an x server and linux for the console :)
that will be cool:)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2006, 02:51 »
Quote from: Jack2000
wireless network
... can you like emulate an ngage/psp or something with wireless
support and play console <-> Pc
like ?
maby an x server and linux for the console :)
that will be cool:)

I'm actually working on shoehorning in Linux on a PS2.  With any luck, I'll have another "triggerable" server within the day.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals