Author Topic: Forcing 4:3 ratio on widescreen monitor?  (Read 1722 times)

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
Forcing 4:3 ratio on widescreen monitor?
« on: 17 April 2006, 09:02 »
Is there anything I can do so fullscreen video shows up with a standard aspect ratio in widescreen? On linux or even windows.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Forcing 4:3 ratio on widescreen monitor?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2006, 20:07 »
I think mplayer will let you do it ... I've never tried so I can't be sure it works.

GenuineAdvantage

« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2006, 06:04 »
That's not what I meant. I should have been more clear sorry. Not video as in movies. But the whole video screen. As in the desktop. For games that are made for 4:3 for example.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2006, 07:12 »
So, wait...you want 4:3 resolutions to be horizontally stretched across your widescreen monitor?  Or it that how it is, and you want the 4:3 resolution to appear in the middle of your screen letterboxed?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

GenuineAdvantage

« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2006, 09:06 »
4:3 resolutions already stretch. I want it to appear in the middle instead, yes.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2006, 16:53 »
Well, that function can depend on what monitor Windows thinks you have.  If it says "Plug and Play Monitor,"  then it probably won't let you.  Perhaps there's a disk or CD that came with it?  Perhaps that'll let you do what you're asking.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2006, 19:20 »
Some monitors let you set the resolution to a non-widescreen format ... this means that it should produce the same effect as somehow using a program to modify output to the screen. Hopefully it won't strectch the image. I remember that on my monitor, 4:3 ratio, I could set the resolution so that it appeared widescreen ... so I suppose the opposite may be possible (there were empty black bars at top and bottom)

GenuineAdvantage

« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2006, 06:24 »
I didn't get a CD with the monitor, it was a gift which just came as it was. If there's a feature to put black bars on the sides, I haven't figured it out. I am hoping there is some software that will fake this. If it was a CRT, I could probably fake it by shrinking it horizontally, but it's LCD...

GenuineAdvantage

« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2006, 10:52 »
I got something, but it's rough. Or maybe that is the only way. I used pixel timer and phase to shrink the picture. It saves these settings for each resolution, so it's fine. I have no way of knowing if it's a perfect match though, I just eyeballed it.

Jack2000

« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2006, 18:09 »
what about trying the manufactoror's site ?
and you might find a "Generic" wide-screen driver that will let you
shrink the picture to another ratio