Author Topic: Minor gripes: Debian xscreensaver, et al.  (Read 1639 times)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Minor gripes: Debian xscreensaver, et al.
« on: 20 April 2006, 12:59 »
On my Debian Sarge box, xscreensaver doesn't start automatically on login or startup. I want it to do this. How can I make it start with KDE/the system.

Also, does anyone have a line on a relatively inexpensive adapter that'll let me use an old Apple ADB extended keyboard with said Debian box?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Minor gripes: Debian xscreensaver, et al.
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2006, 19:39 »
Add "xscreensaver &" to the end of your ~/.xinitrc file (if it doesn't exist, create it).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2006, 07:03 »
is there any difference with :

xscreensaver &> /dev/null &

?

prehaps only knoppix based systems really need that because of how the terminal is setup.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2006, 00:34 »
Quote from: Pathos
is there any difference with :

?

prehaps only knoppix based systems really need that because of how the terminal is setup.
Same enough, you just won't get messages printed to the terminal (you don't really need them. Only one I know of is "xscreensaver: 00:36:22: already running on display :0.0 (window 0xe00001)
 from process 530 (piratepenguin@localhost).").

BTW I don't think the last '&' would ever have any effect (but I'm not sure).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2006, 02:50 »
The & is there if you want to keep processes running ... that's what it says in the fluxbox startup script ... like if I ran "gkrellm" instead of "gkrellm &" the process would start and then quit as soon as the script exited :) So yeah, it should probably be in there ;)

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2006, 20:38 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
The & is there if you want to keep processes running ... that's what it says in the fluxbox startup script ... like if I ran "gkrellm" instead of "gkrellm &" the process would start and then quit as soon as the script exited :) So yeah, it should probably be in there ;)
Yea but he's using 2 &'s.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2006, 00:48 »
Oh ... then it gets more complicated ... then I wouldn't really know ... uhhh, since /dev/null is not a process it should not make a difference, but I don't know the exact format for that. I say just forget the /dev/null part ... you might want it print errors anyway.