Author Topic: New, tougher copyright legislation in the works  (Read 2356 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
New, tougher copyright legislation in the works
« on: 25 April 2006, 11:40 »
Some highlights from the proposed legislation (which has the backing of the Bush administration) include a toughening of the DMCA which would make attempting to infringe on copyright illegal. In addition, no one would be allowed to "make, import, export, obtain control of, or possess" hardware or software that could be used to circumvent copy-protection mechanisms. That's an expansion on the DMCA's current language, which prohibits the distribution of tools such as DeCSS that can be used to bypass copy-protection schemes.

Read more...

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Re: New, tougher copyright legislation in the works
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2006, 12:11 »
So this means that computers, OS's and computing skills are now illegal?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2006, 12:42 »
Only people that feel they should be able to play their CD's on any cd player or computer are. Or maybe those that don't own a computer. they could be the ones connecting a cable modem to their arse and installing limewire on their brain. After all, USB does mean "Up Somones Bum".
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2006, 14:31 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
So this means that computers, OS's and computing skills are now illegal?

Not yet, the law needs to be approved first.
I believe it will eventually. The Bush administration supports it, it's made by a Republican, and some Democrats are against it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2006, 19:53 »
Quote from: Refalm
no one would be allowed to "make, import, export, obtain control of, or possess" hardware or software that could be used to circumvent copy-protection mechanisms.
What does "obtain control of" mean? Can I land some hardware used to circumvent some copy-protection on someone I don't like's doorstep, and maybe with a friendly letter from me give him control of it and then have him up in court?

Or, if I ever own a businness, if I leave such hardware (intentionally) in the building and say it's owned by the businness...

Mweh, whatever, this is shit. The USA isn't getting any better...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2006, 22:31 »
Well ... I suppose it can be expected of "the Bush administerrorist organization" ... I don't really care though, I never deCSS DVDs nor watch them on my computer ... still it's bullshit ! And, well, let's face it ... there's absolutely nothing I or anyone anywhere can do about it ... oh, but the US is a democracy ... isn't it ?

Or does democracy mean: "Rule by the (rich) people" ... they often omit the (rich) part ...

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2006, 01:00 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H

Or does democracy mean: "Rule by the (rich) people" ... they often omit the (rich) part ...
Wrong. There's no brackets :p
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2006, 18:18 »
Sucks to be in your country :)

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2006, 06:15 »
If I can obtain from Russia an automatic loader part for a semi-automatic M16 rifle, I bet even in the darkest hours I could get a real computer from somewhere, if they come to be.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2006, 06:56 »
M16 blows ... AK-47, now that's a REAL assault rifle. Hey, don't believe me ? Here's a really good test ...

Take an M16 and AK-47 into the desert ... wait around a while, through sand storms and shit ... then try to fire off a few rounds. If the M16 still fires it will be a miracle ... if the AK-47 still fires it will be no surprise.

Dark_Me

« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2006, 07:46 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
M16 blows ... AK-47, now that's a REAL assault rifle. Hey, don't believe me ? Here's a really good test ...

Take an M16 and AK-47 into the desert ... wait around a while, through sand storms and shit ... then try to fire off a few rounds. If the M16 still fires it will be a miracle ... if the AK-47 still fires it will be no surprise.
And if the AK hit anything smaller than a barn I'll be surprised. AK's are great for reliability, you can fill them with sand and bury them in a swamp for hours and they still work. Their accuracy however, sucks. Which is why a M16 can be better. It's much more accurate than an AK. The AR/M16 type rifles are long overdue for an upgrade though. The FN SCAR shows promise.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2006, 23:29 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
And if the AK hit anything smaller than a barn I'll be surprised. AK's are great for reliability, you can fill them with sand and bury them in a swamp for hours and they still work. Their accuracy however, sucks. Which is why a M16 can be better. It's much more accurate than an AK. The AR/M16 type rifles are long overdue for an upgrade though. The FN SCAR shows promise.

Yeah that's true ... accuracy is definitely a problem for AK-47's ... but heck get a 100 round clip like those used in Vietnam and you're bound to hit something ... or everything. M16's are alright everywhere but the desert.

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2006, 08:14 »
Yea, what Dark Me said. My friend's brother has an AK47 and the rounds they use is not something I like. Those rifles are for guerilla rebels to spray lead around. They are fun to shoot at a range though. But what firearm isn't. Ok, maybe a magnum high caliber handgun isn't.

Dark_Me

« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2006, 08:51 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
Yea, what Dark Me said. My friend's brother has an AK47 and the rounds they use is not something I like. Those rifles are for guerilla rebels to spray lead around. They are fun to shoot at a range though. But what firearm isn't. Ok, maybe a magnum high caliber handgun isn't.
10 mm auto? And the AK was made so that it was easy to manufacture, didn't need very much up keep and for combat within 300 meters.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Jack2000

« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2006, 20:40 »
ShotGun :)
preferably semi-automatic
and a hand full of hand granades