Author Topic: Canadian Music Stars Fight Against DRM  (Read 1720 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Canadian Music Stars Fight Against DRM
« on: 27 April 2006, 13:25 »
"Some of Canada's best known musicians, including Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlin, Sum 41, and Barenaked Ladies, have formed a new copyright coalition. The artists say in a press release that they oppose file sharing lawsuits, the use of DRM, and DMCA-style legislation and that they want record labels to stop claiming that they represent their views."

http://www.musiccreators.ca/

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Re: Canadian Music Stars Fight Against DRM
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2006, 15:00 »
Party at Canadas place! Wohoo! Finally. Now when this works others will start coming out of the woodwork.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2006, 16:04 »
My god. Avril and Sum 41. I usually hate them.

This is nice. But wouldn't these people have already sold their soul to the labels?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2006, 17:10 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
This is nice. But wouldn't these people have already sold their soul to the labels?
Nice is profitable. Very profitable. Something a great many companies fail to realise. Besides mabey all they want is for people to listen to their music.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2006, 18:11 »
Then they could give it away for free but there again I can't see them denying themselves loads of money - they'd be fools if the did?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2006, 19:13 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Then they could give it away for free but there again I can't see them denying themselves loads of money - they'd be fools if the did?
Some people have enough money to do them a luxurious life without needing anymore.

Some people like: Bill Gates, Tom Cruise, Jenifer Aniston, David Beckam et the misses, and all the other stinking rich asshats you see on TV.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2006, 19:14 »
Bu they wouldn't be rich in the first place if they haden't have sold their material.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2006, 19:45 »
Bu they wouldn't be rich in the first place if they haden't have sold their material.

Everytime your hear a Sum 41 song on the radio or television, or witness a live performance, money goes to them.
Some of the artists that have been screwed by the record company only get their money from there.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2006, 20:25 »
Well it's a good thing they already are rich.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2006, 23:17 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
My god. Avril and Sum 41. I usually hate them.

Me too ... but you should probably be aware that their motives are probably to get you to listen to them more ... so they do something seemingly nice.

Personally, I will NOT change my music preferences based on whether or not the artists support DRM. But, if I like multiple artists and some support DRM and some don't, I'll obviously be drawn to those who don't. To add a touch of reality I pretty much only listen to Nirvana and a few other bands and so don't plan on buying music unless it's really something groundbreaking ... what I've heard so far of the newer (alternative) bands seems as far from that as you can get. (I've always though Nirvana is classified as alternative rock ... I'm not sure if that's true or not :confused: )

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2006, 12:57 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Me too ... but you should probably be aware that their motives are probably to get you to listen to them more ... so they do something seemingly nice.

Personally, I will NOT change my music preferences based on whether or not the artists support DRM. But, if I like multiple artists and some support DRM and some don't, I'll obviously be drawn to those who don't. To add a touch of reality I pretty much only listen to Nirvana and a few other bands and so don't plan on buying music unless it's really something groundbreaking ... what I've heard so far of the newer (alternative) bands seems as far from that as you can get. (I've always though Nirvana is classified as alternative rock ... I'm not sure if that's true or not :confused: )
I don't plan on beginning to listen to Avril Lavigne and Sum 41 just because of this.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2006, 15:25 »
I don't listen to their music because it's shit, I couldn't give a fuck what they think about copyright or DRM.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2006, 17:52 »
Heh, I used to like Sum 41. :D

'Cause I'm in too deep, and I'm trying to keep...
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez