Author Topic: Ok, simplest way to startup apps in XFCE  (Read 1519 times)

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
Ok, simplest way to startup apps in XFCE
« on: 30 April 2006, 15:54 »
And I mean in the old version, not in the 4.4beta1. Any seasoned tip to get this done easily?

Or maybe even on Fluxbox? I'd be willing to try getting around the bugs I have with it if I could do this cleanly.

And what I mean by startup is having them start at login automatically, of course.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Ok, simplest way to startup apps in XF
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2006, 16:36 »
When X11 starts under your username it runs whatever is in ~/.xinitrc
Add e.g. 'firefox &' to (the end of) that file and firefox will start with X11 after any WM.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2006, 18:40 »
For fluxbox there is a startup script in ~/.fluxbox (or in other words ~/.fluxbox/startup), do the same thing piratePenguin says except you can put the startup entries in there instead of in ~/.xinitrc. The things you put in there will only start with fluxbox though ... so use /.xinitrc if you want them to start with all your window managers.

GenuineAdvantage

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2006, 04:51 »
Saving the session starts up some things, like gkrellm, but not others. I'm trying to startup gdesklets. Thanks for the tips but I've already tried all this. I've tried everything suggested to me and nothing works for me for some reason. And I don't have a .xinitrc in the home dir. Creating it doesn't work either.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2006, 18:29 »
That's strange ... so if your run gdesklets in a terminal it runs just fine ? In the startup script it should be "gdesklets &". What distro are you running ? It shouldn't matter too much unless it's ubuntu ... ubuntu likes to do things differently sometimes and put things in different places than usual.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2006, 18:42 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
Saving the session starts up some things, like gkrellm, but not others. I'm trying to startup gdesklets. Thanks for the tips but I've already tried all this. I've tried everything suggested to me and nothing works for me for some reason. And I don't have a .xinitrc in the home dir. Creating it doesn't work either.
I think that could be because the way your display manager starts X11... Not the same way as starting it with 'startx'.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

GenuineAdvantage

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2006, 09:33 »
You were right, it's because of ubuntu. Starting x with gdm not startx. I tried it on 2 other distros and there is no problem with this. On PCLOS I had to do it another way though, by making a script in /usr/local/bin and setting it in the xfce rc, but it worked. As of now I have ubuntu 5.10 the most nicely tweaked besides this problem. I'd still like to know how to do it on it. Anyone running ubuntu for a while now know it's behaviors? How do I change gdm to startx and would there be any problems doing so?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2006, 19:52 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
You were right, it's because of ubuntu. Starting x with gdm not startx. I tried it on 2 other distros and there is no problem with this. On PCLOS I had to do it another way though, by making a script in /usr/local/bin and setting it in the xfce rc, but it worked. As of now I have ubuntu 5.10 the most nicely tweaked besides this problem. I'd still like to know how to do it on it. Anyone running ubuntu for a while now know it's behaviors? How do I change gdm to startx and would there be any problems doing so?
KDM also does not obey my ~/.xinitrc script.

I'm guessing it's just the way graphical login managers work. X is already started so there's no point in running 'startx'.

Infact startx is just a shell script that calls 'xinit' which is what actually processes ~/.xinitrc. I dunno why, but graphical mangers seem to not like using xinit, and do everything themselves.

For GDM, /etc/gdm/PreSession/ and /etc/gdm/PostSession/ hold shell scripts which are executed before or after a session is setup. From /etc/gdm/gdm.conf:
# Note that a post login script is run before a PreSession script.
# It is run after the login is successful and before any setup is
# run on behalf of the user
So stick a shell script in one of those directories (PostSession).