Author Topic: More stupid questions anyone?  (Read 1362 times)

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
More stupid questions anyone?
« on: 4 May 2006, 12:23 »
Ok, here are a few more linux inquiries for you about weird things nobody uses.

I am compiling something, I am new to it and I want to get a certain effect with a certain -tune parameter in some environment variables 'FLAGS' & 'CPFLAGS'. Sounds good to me, that's all the document says basically. What are environment variables, or more importantly where are they? I'm assuming it's a set of lines  in the 'configure' file where I have to put that in?

Here's a bonus question about Timidity, the software midi player. How can I really unload the memory between each file. The -U tag seems to have limited effects. With the huge soundfont that I use, after a few files, the whole thing goes quiet.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: More stupid questions anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2006, 16:54 »
When you're running make, you can change the enviornmental variables by saying e.g. 'CFLAGS=-g make', that'll run make with the CFLAGS enviornmental variable set to '-g'.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2006, 18:03 »
Try "man timidity" or "man xmms-timidity" or whatever the program's name is ... it doesn't look like there is more documentation on it than that, try googling it, although I didn't find too much. It could be a memory leak.

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2006, 02:07 »
Hm. Thanks for the variables info, I never would have guess that, but let's skip the complaining.

About timidity, it's just a bug I think. I go overboard with the size of the soundfonts. I joined everything I had from windows into 300MB or so. Anyways, I tried it all, haven't found a fix. Oh well.