Author Topic: Fixing Overheating MacBook Pros  (Read 1465 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Fixing Overheating MacBook Pros
« on: 7 May 2006, 01:44 »
For those of you who don't know how heat sinks work (and I think that's very very few of you), the idea is that you are supposed to have very good mechanical contact between the heat sink and the chip.  You apply thermal paste because we live in an imperfect world without perfectly flat chips and heatsink surfaces. Without paste, there would be little air gaps in spots between the chip and the sink that act as insulators.  The paste should be thin, ideally just enough to fill in the gaps.  Too much paste, and you LOSE heat transfer capability (even if you use arctic silver).  

A  guy from Somthing Awful found a picture from Apple's tech manuals which tells Apple techs to put enourmous amounts of paste on the processors.  He remounted his heatsinks, and got his temperatures down FIFTEEN DEGREES CELCIUS.

Apple's response... well read it for yourself.
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/06/05/06/2045255.shtml
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/thermal-greasy-apple-sics-lawyers-on-something-awful-171394.php
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Fixing Overheating MacBook Pros
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2006, 03:24 »
Yeah ... well ... there you have it ... the true nature of Apple. I never liked them and I never will ... and this certainly doesn't help now does it ?

P.S. and their Ipods suck ! :D

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2006, 06:17 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Yeah ... well ... there you have it ... the true nature of Apple.

I fail to make the same connection as you.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2006, 07:04 »
So then the guy from Something Awful is the bad guy for discovering this little screw-up and Apple are the good guys for "threatening" him ....

After a Something Awful denizen took apart his MacBook Pro and discovered that Apple had slathered on far too much thermal grease, he found that using a more modest amount dropped his MacBook Pro

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2006, 07:20 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Yeah ... well ... there you have it ... the true nature of legal departments.

Fixed for accuracy. Attornies and insurance salesmen - for the most part, I could care less if they were hoarded into a ship that "mysteriously" sank in the middle of the Atlantic (with very few exceptions). My one concern would be the amount of aquatic life killed off by the sleaze runoff.

EDIT: To be precise, the world is seldom black and white. The legal departments are one of those shades of grey, and it's really unfair to judge a corporate entity based on the lowest common denominator in their operations. Look at it this way: at least they haven't bought out Novell or extorted them over the double-click... and legal departments don't do "nice" - sad but true.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2006, 11:18 »
WTF Copyright law allows for partial duplication of any document for criticism that isn't protected due to national security etc

Apple has been throwing the law at everyone lately. They do it to hush up any mistakes to keep an image that they are flawless (which apparently is not quite the truth according to some unverified sources..).

I think it is fair to judge a company by any action they take. If they don't like it they should change what they do.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2006, 14:35 »
They should release the damn thing under something like the GNU Free Documentation License. What does it matter if people can repair the machines they bought?

They're probably making thousands outta not giving everyone the information to repair the machines. PATETHIC.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2006, 18:03 »
Quote from: Pathos
WTF Copyright law allows for partial duplication of any document for criticism that isn't protected due to national security etc

Apple has been throwing the law at everyone lately. They do it to hush up any mistakes to keep an image that they are flawless (which apparently is not quite the truth according to some unverified sources..).

I think it is fair to judge a company by any action they take. If they don't like it they should change what they do.

I agree ... and I think the rabbit hole goes deeper still ... I don't believe that Apple has any interest in making things right or well, otherwise they would have embraced the guy and told him thanks for finding this little mishap and bringing it to our attention SO WE CAN FIX IT !

Well, I suppose it could be just the legal department, which is none too friendly, by why hasn't the rest of the Apple corporation stepped in and said, hey wait a minute, this ain't right ... have they done this or do they plan on it ?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2006, 19:07 »
Are you guys blind?

Quote from: Orethrius
To be precise, the world is seldom black and white. The legal departments are one of those shades of grey, and it's really unfair to judge a corporate entity based on the lowest common denominator in their operations.

Just like how not everything at Microsoft is evil.

Besides, someone at Slashdot mentioned this.  Who isn't to say this whole thing isn't a stunt?  After all, Apple legal does go after everybody, right?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Pathos

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2006, 13:02 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
They should release the damn thing under something like the GNU Free Documentation License. What does it matter if people can repair the machines they bought?

They're probably making thousands outta not giving everyone the information to repair the machines. PATETHIC.

well part of it is they can charge the computer repairers to be "authorized".

motorcycle companies also do it but they require the repairers to goto to seminars to make sure they are upto date with any new developments / complexities in the engines and drivechain so that they know what they are doing.

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2006, 13:17 »
Quote from: WMD
Are you guys blind?

Just like how not everything at Microsoft is evil.

Besides, someone at Slashdot mentioned this.  Who isn't to say this whole thing isn't a stunt?  After all, Apple legal does go after everybody, right?

thats something entirely different. and doesn't question apples aptitude so would be handled rather different anyway.

apples legal department wouldn't be very good if they didn't and I'm pretty sure this spread around the tech sites pretty quick.

surely somethingawful won't be easily duped by a fake legal notice.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2006, 19:21 »
Quote from: Pathos
well part of it is they can charge the computer repairers to be "authorized".

motorcycle companies also do it but they require the repairers to goto to seminars to make sure they are upto date with any new developments / complexities in the engines and drivechain so that they know what they are doing.
Don't they have/Couldn't they get like a stamp that by law people/businesses can use only if they meet the requirements for it? Or do they not exist?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.