Author Topic: Javascript to help IE users browsing your site.  (Read 5325 times)

noob

• Kudos: 74
I made this code for my Black Metal's band's website. May be of use to every webmaster in the world.

Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Javascript to help IE users browsing your site.
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2006, 18:17 »
I dislike the use of JavaScript, because you can disable it in the browser.

If you have PHP on your server, try this:

$bladeraar 
$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

if(
eregi("msie",$bladeraar) && !eregi("opera",$bladeraar))
{

echo(
"<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"10;url=http://www.browsehappy.com/\" />");
}

elseif(
eregi("mspie",$bladeraar) || eregi("pocket",$bladeraar))
{

echo(
"<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"10;url=http://www.browsehappy.com/\" />");
}

else
{

echo(
"<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0;url=index2.php\" />");
}
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 19:38 by Refalm »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2006, 18:50 »
I disagree, Firefox isn't the only alternative to IE and there're many people who use Opera who'll get this message as it identifies itself as IE6 by default. I don't like this kind of agressive Firefox marketing and it's one of my biggest dislikes about the Firefox community.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2006, 19:37 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I disagree, Firefox isn't the only alternative to IE and there're many people who use Opera who'll get this message as it identifies itself as IE6 by default. I don't like this kind of agressive Firefox marketing and it's one of my biggest dislikes about the Firefox community.

At least my script makes a redirect to Browse Happy, which links to Firefox and Opera.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2006, 20:54 »
Too many options can kill a man.

If Opera identifies itself as IE6 by default, that's very fucking stupid. The Opera developers should've expected their users to fall into these IE traps, afterall, THEY'VE GOT MICROSOFT IN THE AGENT STRING!

Some developers will check that Opera isn't included in the agent string aswell, but not all of them will for different reasons ("not my fault, I think I'm doing this the right way. Fix your fucking agent string.", "there's THREE web browsers?").
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2006, 21:02 »
At least my script checks for Opera users :)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2006, 21:04 »
Amaya is a pretty decent browser ... maybe they should include it in the Browse Happy site.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2006, 21:17 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Amaya is a pretty decent browser ... maybe they should include it in the Browse Happy site.
Maybe. And they should remove Mozilla, and at least replace it with Seamonkey.

Konqueror is another very-decent web browser, but it doesn't run on 90% of computers (Windows computers without something like coLinux).

Safari doesn't run on that many computers either (but more)...

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2006, 21:21 »
It would be bad if they (intentionally) told Opera users they should use Firefox, maybe.

But only in some cases. Opera doesn't have a hope of rendering this or this (shitty javascript support. Absolutely shitty. Even in the 9.0 beta.), so guess what I'll be doing?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2006, 21:21 »
I agree with you about the Opera developers being stupid for choosing Opera to identify itself as IE6 by default, it's just idiotic there's nothing more I can say about that.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2006, 02:44 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
It would be bad if they (intentionally) told Opera users they should use Firefox, maybe.

But only in some cases. Opera doesn't have a hope of rendering this or this (shitty javascript support. Absolutely shitty. Even in the 9.0 beta.), so guess what I'll be doing?

Yup Opera can't handle them ... Amaya seems to only handle the first one properly, the second only partially ... the "canvas" is just a green square with no text.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2006, 10:40 »

Who cares?

Most browsers don't and Internet Explorer doesn't either, so no one would be stupid enough to design a website like that.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2006, 10:54 »
Who cares?

Most browsers don't and Internet Explorer doesn't either, so no one would be stupid enough to design a website like that.
Uh, standard SVG and Javascript, the webpages aren't the problem.

My actual personal website (not online) is valid XHTML + CSS, those 2 pages are little things I made just messing about with JS. But I will not hesitate to throw in some SVG or that onto my website.

Those 2 pages will be on the site but obviously Opera and IE users won't be fit to use them.

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2006, 18:26 »
I randomly made the script after wanting user agent info and to get screen res to redirect to the right page. I just saw those 2 bits of code and made that.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2006, 20:42 »
Uh, standard SVG and Javascript, the webpages aren't the problem.

My actual personal website (not online) is valid XHTML + CSS, those 2 pages are little things I made just messing about with JS. But I will not hesitate to throw in some SVG or that onto my website.

Those 2 pages will be on the site but obviously Opera and IE users won't be fit to use them.

So the majority of people won't be able view them, yes some standards, :rolleyes:  in my book standard isn't a proper standard until it's adopted by that majority so until then they aren't standards.

Talking of standards, Firefox, isn't W3C standards compliant, well it doesn't pass the Acid2 test.