Author Topic: How can I do this- or can it be done?  (Read 987 times)

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
How can I do this- or can it be done?
« on: 16 May 2006, 08:22 »
2 part question of sorts.
With X, can you somehow set it so a command is performed automatically whenever the desktop resolution is changed? For example, could you set to run 'nvidia-settings --load-config-only'?

The other this is, can you remove/cancel/block certain resolutions and their refresh rates while keeping those refresh rates for other resolutions? For example, to remove all versions of 640x480 except @60, while keeping all the others that go higher?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: How can I do this- or can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2006, 23:36 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
2 part question of sorts.
With X, can you somehow set it so a command is performed automatically whenever the desktop resolution is changed? For example, could you set to run 'nvidia-settings --load-config-only'?
I'm not really the best guy to ask, but you could get that done using e.g. FAM (if you don't like/have FAM then there's a Linux-only way to do it with inotify) on the xorg.conf. That'd involve quite a bit of effort though...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
Re: How can I do this- or can it be done?
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2006, 20:07 »
Thanks for the reply. I think I've tried stuff like this before with script services, but it seemed to just suck up resources just for that one thing, and it didn't work either. But of course I didn't know perfectly what I was doing. I thought as much that it would take some work, so I guess I'll be looking into it sometime.