Author Topic: Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" released  (Read 1056 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" released
« on: 1 June 2006, 18:04 »
It looks kinda cool, I'm downloading it now (I got ADSL just today too!).

(I'd write more but my brother needs my keyboard because his USB one doesn't work when reinstalling Windows.)

Read the announcement.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" released
« Reply #1 on: 1 June 2006, 23:34 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
(I'd write more but my brother needs my keyboard because his USB one doesn't work when reinstalling Windows.)

[OFFTOPIC]Has he tried using the "making USB keyboards count as PS/2 keyboards" in the BIOS?[/OFFTOPIC]

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 1 June 2006, 23:45 »
Quote from: Refalm
[OFFTOPIC]Has he tried using the "making USB keyboards count as PS/2 keyboards" in the BIOS?[/OFFTOPIC]

[OFFTOPIC]I'm pretty sure my BIOS doesn't have such a feature.  This must be something relatively new (within last 2 years).[/OFFTOPIC]

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 2 June 2006, 01:54 »
Quote from: Refalm
When I asked him that he seemed sure he had this option on, but he probably didn't.

So I've just installed Ubuntu 6.06. The first time I went to install it it just fucked up completely - I thought it would just take a while to sort out the partitions but when I came back the monitor was completely black and when I went to install it again (after hitting the reset button), there wasn't much waiting atall - so there was something seriously wrong.

I tried to reproduce the fuckup but I couldn't.

Other than that fuckup, this is one sweet OS. That installer is amazing (the map to select your city, the 'change time' window where you can set the time manually or sync it with an online server (determined automatically)). The live cd in itself is also amazing.

Whenever I booted up into Ubuntu I was notified that there was an update available - some pcmcia package. I like that updating system.

Sound, network - they all work, and have worked on the live cd, without any intereference from me (except I had to actually enable the network interface in System > Administration > Networking). There's alot of nice stuff in that Administration menu - namely the 'services' (things which start at boot) and 'shared folders' configurors.

Aloone_Jonez will be glad to know that there's a menu editor with this release :)

So uh, so far so good. That fuckup was a letdown though (not sure if it could have been a hardware error (I've noticed my disk is getting very loud and slow)..?).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #4 on: 2 June 2006, 16:21 »
my only problem with ubuntu was that
i am on a PPPoE connection and it does not dial-up before it tryes the time servers
so i had to turn that option off
and another thing was that my yamaha black-market
sound card :) that i do not even know the model
was not supported by the kernel :)
i hope they fixed those things ....

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #5 on: 3 June 2006, 02:13 »
I've been trying the beta's, I found it incredibly slow on my 1ghz 256MB machine until I switched to xfce.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 3 June 2006, 03:07 »
Quote from: Pathos
I've been trying the beta's, I found it incredibly slow on my 1ghz 256MB machine until I switched to xfce.
Runs great on my Athlon XP 2600+ with 256Mb RAM.

I'm liking the automation. I plug in my mp3 player - nautilus opens showing me the files. Place in a blank CD in and I'm asked if I want to burn an audio or data disk, or do nothing.

Also, my brother needed my ps2 keyboard again (apparantly he had tried that option in the BIOS), so I took his USB one and it worked without having to restart X. I was of the belief that deficiencies in Xinput made that impossible? Anyhow, it's an Apple keyboard - and the volume buttons (volume++, volume--, mute), and the eject button, all worked! And they worked nicely - like in Mac OS X, a little window comes up with a bar showing the volume (and eventually dissapears), and if it can't eject the drive it shows a failed icon.

Hardware acceleration for my video card (radeon 9600 pro) was enabled by default (to my disbelief) with the free DRI driver, which is neat because it saved me alot of work (recompiling (parts of) the X server and mesa is NOT fun anymore). So to play bzflag I just installed it in synaptic and clicked in Applications > Games > bzflag (I ran it the first time expecting it to be using software rendering). There are some glitches in e.g. the menus and the HUD because the driver isn't complete, but nothing major.

bzflag is so cool online. Who needs non-free software to play games!?