Author Topic: Section 115 Reform Act of RIAA Bones You Again  (Read 1714 times)

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
Section 115 Reform Act of RIAA Bones You Again
« on: 6 June 2006, 21:58 »
http://ipaction.org/blog/2006/06/worst-bill-youve-never-heard-of.html

Quote from: article
Simply put, SIRA fundamentally redefines copyright and fair use in the digital world. It would require all incidental copies of music to be licensed separately from the originating copy. Even copies of songs that are cached in your computer's memory or buffered over a network would need yet another license. Once again, Big Copyright is looking for a way to double-dip into your wallet, extracting payment for the same content at multiple levels.

Today, so-called "incidental" copies don't need to be licensed; they're made in the process of doing *other* things, like listening to your MP3 library or plugging into a Net radio station. If you paid for the MP3 and the radio station is up-to-date with its bookkeeping, nobody should have to pay again, right? Not if SIRA becomes law. Out of the blue, copyright holders would have created an entire new market to charge for -- and sue over. Good for them. Bad for us.

When will these fuckers learn?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Section 115 Reform Act of RIAA Bones You Again
« Reply #1 on: 7 June 2006, 05:04 »
Well they will never learn unless someone teaches them ... this often requires "alternate" means (such as taking them all prisoner and torturing them until they plead guilty ... and then torturing them to death :D)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #2 on: 9 June 2006, 03:53 »
Does this mean that if you bought iTunes that you'll need a separate license to make a backup? Or burn the songs to an aiff on a cd to play somewhere else?

I don't see how anyone will be able to sell music anymore if the RIAA wants a license and presumably $ for every incidental copy. It sounds like we need a change of admin at the national level. The stupidity of this one seems to know no limit.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #3 on: 9 June 2006, 07:40 »
Quote from: davidnix71
Does this mean that if you bought iTunes that you'll need a separate license to make a backup? Or burn the songs to an aiff on a cd to play somewhere else?

I don't see how anyone will be able to sell music anymore if the RIAA wants a license and presumably $ for every incidental copy. It sounds like we need a change of admin at the national level. The stupidity of this one seems to know no limit.

You'd need a separate license to make a backup AND a separate license every time you played the track. This essentially makes all music rented instead of sold.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)