Author Topic: Anything like OS X's network locations in Windows (Free)?  (Read 1126 times)

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
So, I had to replace my beloved Netgear router with a LInksys one (I figured the WRT54G would be hackable with all the firmware floating around -- though my revision isn't).  The Linksys router does not let one define static IP addresses according to MAC address through DHCP, so I had to disable DHCP and assign static addresses to each machine on my network, including those that dual boot (my MacBook).

OS X has a nice feature where you can maintain multiple network profiles; one for home, one for work, one with a different set of DNS servers, one with Proxies -- you get the picture.  Is there any way I can do this in Windows when booting into XP on my MacBook other than manually changing the network card's properties?  So far it seems no, except without paying money for something like this.

Yeah I know the no Windows rule, but this seems more along the lines of just getting it to play well on the same machine.  If anything it highlights how weak it is; MacOS has had this idea going back to like 7.6.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
IPSave.
It's commandline only, and it doesn't include proxy servers.