Author Topic: Solutions  (Read 3892 times)

Mastertech

• Kudos: 0
Solutions
« on: 22 June 2006, 02:30 »
This thread is pretty ridiculous but I feel like I need to provide this information.

First if you go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer (2000 or XP), View Settings and select "Show hidden files and folders" then uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". You can now browse to the Temporary Internet Files folder. If you select the + sign on the left of the folder it will expand and show the Content.IE5 folder and again to show all the sub folders.

Cleaning this is rather easy, you have two simple solutions:
(SuperClean is not a free program these are)

1. CCleaner - Get the Slim or Basic builds (No Yahoo Toolbar). This program will clean all your Internet Temp Files and the Index.dat upon reboot. This will only clean up the Temp Files ect... for the account you are logged on to. To fully clean the Index.dat you have to have admin rights on the account.

Settings:
-Uncheck Old Prefetch Data (Deleting these will slow down Windows Boot and Application Launch times)
-Go to Options, Advanced, uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
-If you want to securely delete these files go to Options, Settings, Secure Deletion, select "Secure file Deletion (Slower)" and select the number of passes you want.

2. CleanUp! - Is a good program to clean multi-Windows user accounts at the same time.

Settings:
-Options Uncheck Prefetch Files (Deleting these will slow down Windows Boot and Application Launch times)

Now it is possible to secretly hide files on your HD using Rootkits. You can detect these using RootkitRevealer. Viruses and complex Malware can use this technology.

Here is another program for paranoid people about their privacy;

MRU Blaster -  is a program made to do one large task - detect and clean MRU (most recently used) lists on your computer. These MRU lists contain information such as the names and/or locations of the last files you have accessed. They are located ALL OVER your registry, and for almost ANY file type. By looking at these MRU lists, someone could determine what files you opened/saved/looked at, what their file names were, and much more! (And, in many cases, the lists are displayed in drop-down menus automatically.)

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Re: Easy Removal of Windows Super Hidden Temp Files
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2006, 02:44 »
We have kinda verified that they don't exist on later versions of Windows.
Also does the fact that you need all these different apps signify anything about Windows to you.?
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Mastertech

« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2006, 03:02 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
We have kinda verified that they don't exist on later versions of Windows. Also does the fact that you need all these different apps signify anything about Windows to you.?
You don't need all those apps. I simply provided them for people that are interested. They each serve different functions. CCleaner and Cleanup! are similiar but CCleaner only cleans the account you are logged onto and Cleanup does all the accounts at once. CCleaner has other options too like a registry cleaner.

Rootkits are a problem on all Operating Systems. And the MRUBlaster program is for anyone paranoid about privacy.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2006, 03:45 »
Quote from: Calum
i know it is highly unfashionable these days to say this, but the answer is staring you in the face, install linux, or a BSD, or get a mac. if you are not using windows, you are definitely 100% free of windows hidden files, for good.

and you NEVER hear of these hidden files in ANY other operating system do you? there must be a good reason for that.

Never let unfashionability get in the way of the truth.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2006, 11:00 »
Quote from: Mastertech
This thread is pretty ridiculous but I feel like I need to provide this information.

It is generally accepted on this forum that the "really hidden files" article is rubbish, most of us would like to see it removed and replaced with something better but Refalm (the admin of this site) doesn't actually have ftp access so it can't be done, it's a shame because the main page is now so outdated that it takes away our credibility. Many people here have offered to write new articles and I hope that one day the webmaster returns and allows Refalm to put them up on the front page.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2006, 17:37 »
it isn't "rubbish" and the "most of us" you refer to who think it *is* "rubbish" are idiots.

take offence if you like, but i agree with annorax about the truth.

i myself have seen and deleted hidden files from all of the locations mentioned in the hidden files article in both windows 98 and windows me, which were the most recent and popular home user windows versions at the time i read the article originally.

the article may be outdated, but that is 100% different from "rubbish".

so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Mastertech

Myth
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2006, 18:07 »
Yeah whatever. There are no super secret folders in Windows that you cannot access. I've tested this on Windows 98, ME, 2000 and XP ect...

Otherwise please provide documented reproduceable proof of your claims.

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2006, 20:28 »
Trolled posts and replies moron'ed

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2006, 20:42 »
Quote from: Calum
it isn't "rubbish" and the "most of us" you refer to who think it *is* "rubbish" are idiots.

Whatever, but tell me seriously that you don't believe the conspiracy theory bullshit? Because if you do then you are an idiot.

The article talks about hidden files which may be true, but it's worded like MS have hidden them in a bid to keep track of people when the truth is it's they are not displayed because they are part of the cache indexing system and the reason why they aren't deleted is due to poor programming. Fair enough when it was origionally written it may've looked that way but it's been proved otherwise, so it's now outdated and obsolete.

By the way, wouldn't it have been more sensible to contact MS about this article before posting it?

If they didn't respond or lied about it then we would've had a case but if they'd given an explanation then it shouldn't have been posted in the first place.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2006, 04:07 »
amazing what a good troll can do ...

Mastertech

« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2006, 06:49 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
amazing what a good troll can do ...
I am sorry but you are an absolute idiot. Did you even READ my initial reply? Or do you see my name and jump to conclusions?

Wow only on Microsucks.com could a legitimate reply to a FUD post with detailed explanations and solutions be moved here.

I mean what is the agenda with moving this? So more people can believe the bullshit in the post this was cut from?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2006, 08:32 »
I must agree.  Why was this section cut out?
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Mastertech

« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2006, 13:02 »
I don't know it must be my "trolling" post that includes detailed information on how to clean these "hidden" folders. Oh and I tried linking here off the original again but that got deleted too. Someone please read my post above but remove my name and tell me if it would have been removed otherwise. I don't think so. This is definitely the first time I've ever posted instructional information EVER to a post ANYWHERE and had it cut off. I guess there is a first time for everything. :nothappy:

When someone here gets a clue as to what is going on please let me know. :rolleyes:

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2006, 17:13 »
1) There was a flame war brewing.
2) The post to the link here contained a personel insult towards a mod.

Mastertech

« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2006, 18:59 »
It's a stupid idea to insult mods, idiot.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2006, 01:21 by Canadian Lover »