Author Topic: Sony says Microsoft "copies them"  (Read 1432 times)

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
Sony says Microsoft "copies them"
« on: 29 June 2006, 19:04 »
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4812/53/

I hate both of them.

It is sometimes said that imitation is flattery - or something like that. So no-one really believes Sony Computer Entertainment America boss Kaz Hirai when he says that he wishes Microsoft would come up with some ideas of its own in the games space.

Hang on... mostly the companies themselves just make the hardware, and have other companies (bought out by them) make the games.

However, in an interview with Official PayStation Magazine, that is approximately what Hirai said. To be exact, Hirai said: "I wish that they would come up with some strategies of their own, but they seem to be going down the path of everything we do."

Hehe... Sony PayStation.

One would be tempted to believe Hirai if he didn't contradict himself in the next breath when he ridiculed Microsoft for not including an HD DVD drive as integrated part of the Xbox 360 but as an optional extra. This is clearly not going down the same path as Sony, which has integrated a Blu-ray player in PS3, in the process making the console considerably more expensive that Xbox 360.

Sony is trying to do what they did with the ps2, where it had dvd-playing capabilities with less cost than a dvd player. Except there is not yet a standard format, and nothing is released on either format yet.

His other reported stated does not quite ring true either. "Every time we go down a path, we look behind and Microsoft is right there - we just can't shake these guys." Well actually, Xbox 360 has been on the market for quite some time with millions of units sold. PS3 is not expected to make an appearance for at least four months.

Anyone else going with Nintendo?

Leaving aside reports that Sony may have copied Nintendo's motion sensing remote controller, it's a bit rich to expect the world to believe that sony is the only innovator in the games area when it doesn't even have its next gen product in the market and Nintendo Wii is said to have stolen the show at E3.

I forgot all about Sony when they announced the price. If they have any good games, I'll just emulate on the pc. (Legal if you buy the game, and you woon't be bothered otherwise unless the games are recent or you're distributing)

The most likely scenario is that all the players innovate and all of them copy each other to a certain extent. Igf your comoetitor has a good idea, why wouldn't you take it on board?

1. Is this a crappy translation, or did they djust forget to spell-check.
2. The only things MS has made itself are several billion dollars and Microsoft Bob.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2006, 19:05 by _kill__bill »
Long Live the Revolution!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Sony says Microsoft "copies them"
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2006, 19:08 »
Quote from: _kill__bill

2. The only things MS has made itself are several billion dollars and Microsoft Bob.
Don't forget Clippy!
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2006, 19:10 »
PayStation ... I'm sure they misspelled it on purpose ... but it is fitting I suppose

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2006, 19:58 »
Quote from: _kill__bill
Except there is not yet a standard format, and nothing is released on either format yet.

There most certainly is.
http://www.highdefdigest.com
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2006, 01:35 »
I think Microsoft is worse than Sony. Ok, so Sony released some rootkit-prone cds and got pounded on over it. Microsoft has wittingly been a big usurper for years in the world of software.

I'd buy a PS3, if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive. And this story about "it might as well be a PC". Bull. That's what they always say, and the products always turn out to be no PC. It's still just a game console, and for that price, yeah right.

Nintendo isn't any better than Sony. In fact, Nintendo screwed over Sony once over a deal, and this is why the Playstation was developed, which eventually beat Nintendo.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2006, 02:03 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
I think Microsoft is worse than Sony. Ok, so Sony released some rootkit-prone cds and got pounded on over it. Microsoft has wittingly been a big usurper for years in the world of software.
They all stink for depending on something that anyone can just copy for a friend (music, software etc), and then being such asses whenever people do copy for friends.

Microsoft is especially smelly for using it's position to dominate others.

Nintendo isn't any better than Sony. In fact, Nintendo screwed over Sony once over a deal, and this is why the Playstation was developed, which eventually beat Nintendo.
Have you details of that "screw over"?

I'm loving nintendo more now!
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2006, 02:26 »
Ah well it's a matter of point of view anyways. Nintendo would say Sony stole their idea, and of course no breaking of a legal contract was involved, but Sony definitely lost money when they got led on and dropped like a nerd by a pretty girl. Basically Nintendo was wise in backing out of a deal which would give sony the rights to the Super-CD format, which was to be Nintendo's system following the Super Nintendo, co-developed by Sony, particularly the drive.

But that's besides the point anyways. Corporations can screw each other over and fluffy pink bunnies will hop around in joy. It's great. But from my times of my Nintendo dork days I learned that they are a bunch of liars not excluding to their customers. They all are, so might as well go for the better game console if you're intrested in that. Of which the Nintendo consoles are not.

Oh and about this:
They all stink for depending on something that anyone can just copy for a friend (music, software etc), and then being such asses whenever people do copy for friends.

Sure, Nintendo actually made it hard to copy out of some random drive with their own crappy inferior disk format which gives the developers a hard time and less space, ultimately something less-than to the end consumer, just to save their own ass. Which is fine, but in being pragmatic, I'd go for the better format/system regardless, which has tended to be the Playstation ever since the first one.