Author Topic: NO resale for you.  (Read 1395 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
NO resale for you.
« on: 9 July 2006, 22:59 »
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/07/1412247

The defence argued that if a large organisation, such as a bank, bought a large number of computers and never used the bundled Microsoft software and sold on the licences, that a company such as Digital could sell those licences, for which Microsoft had already been paid.

The judge rejected the argument. "The fallacy in the argument is that if the bank does not accept the EULA [licence] terms [by operating the software and agreeing the terms], it receives no licence. Thus it can confer no licence for the use of any Microsoft software by passing on the COA (certificate of authenticity), nor can the COA be evidence of, or itself confer, such a licence. Thus, provided that the licensing system is enforceable in law, the circumstances exemplified cannot give rise to a legitimate trade in COAs."

So, according to this judge, in the UK, if you don't agree to the licenses, you don't, in fact, own anything, even if you've paid for it.

WTF...
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: NO resale for you.
« Reply #1 on: 9 July 2006, 23:35 »
Quote from:  Asshat Judge
if the bank does not accept the EULA [licence] terms [by operating the software and agreeing the terms], it receives no licence.

Um...yes it does?
« Last Edit: 10 July 2006, 00:05 by WMD »
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #2 on: 9 July 2006, 23:57 »
What it means is the bank have already agreed to the licence by purchasing it. The EULA is in affect a contract.

But doesn't this mean MS have to provide a highly visible warning that there by purchasing the software at a store that you are bound by a rather restrictive  contract (EULA)? Or is it totally the customers responsibility to check if certain software deviates from standard software licensing ?

mobrien_12

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2006, 03:15 »
No, it means that by not using the software, the bank forfeits all rights to it.

mobrien_12

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2006, 03:15 »
No, it means that by not using the software, the bank forfeits all rights to it, even though MS gets paid.  

Nice racket, huh?  The mafia should get in on that action.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2006, 06:03 »
Haha ... M$ is a mafia all of it's own ... besides there's more than 1 mafia ... there's Chinese mafia, Italian (the best known), Russian, M$, etc.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2006, 06:18 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Haha ... M$ is a mafia all of it's own ... besides there's more than 1 mafia ... there's Chinese mafia, Italian (the best known), Russian, M$, etc.

[offtopic]Yeah, I don't get where people think the Mafia is dead - the Gambinis have probably been nailed these days, but Triads, Yakuza, Solsnetskaya, etcetera still flourish.[/offtopic]

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2006, 10:06 »
This is old news, everyone knows the ELUA prohibits resale - something which in itself should be against the law, there should be some rights given to consumers regarding fair use and the right to transfer or sell a licence. I made a thread about this awhile a go but no one seemed to care.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2006, 20:30 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
This is old news, everyone knows the ELUA prohibits resale - something which in itself should be against the law, there should be some rights given to consumers regarding fair use and the right to transfer or sell a licence. I made a thread about this awhile a go but no one seemed to care.

Why would we care? I'd bet that most of the folks here use either Linux, one of the *BSDs, or Mac OS X. We simply don't have these problems. MS can do whatever the hell they like with their EULAs. I don't have any MS soft running here.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2006, 21:49 »
It was more than just MS, I talked about copyright in general and how companies shouldn't be allowed to abuse it, remember MS aren't the only guilty ones.

Everyone should be to have the right to resell or transfer a license to another party/piece of hardware and make a backup copy, the only exemtion I would make is for firmware on ROMs. Of course others might disagree and want to abolish pay per use/copying licences but I think this would swing too far in the rights of the consumer.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: