Author Topic: Knoppix Live DSL  (Read 1255 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Knoppix Live DSL
« on: 11 July 2006, 03:03 »
I dowloaded the current iso of Knoppix Damn Small Linux for a test drive. Dillo web browser doesn't have javascript, so it isn't much use. Login to check mail most places requires it.

Mozilla behaved strangely. If I clicked Help > About Mozilla Firefox it crashed. Same result for any attempt to login anywhere. My isp webmail, here at the M$ forum, at Yahoo mail. Instant crash.

It won't power down either. I had to force quit the OS in VPC.

I'm running DSL in Virtual PC.  Dynebolic Rasta Linux works fine. So far it's the only one I've found that does.

Does anyone have an idea why attempting to login causes an instant crash?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Knoppix Live DSL
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2006, 07:15 »
I'm prety sure DSL has a stripped version of firefox on it

Why are you running it in Virtual PC again ?

If it won't work and you want a light distro that's easy to use try feather

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2006, 07:59 »
perhaps the DSL forums would be better at solving this problem.

anyway I use 1.5 and haven't bothered to change because theres no good reason to.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2006, 01:32 »
I'm running it in VPC because I got rid of the real pc I had and bought a mac. Since I only have one computer, I try to run as many OS's as possible, just in case there is something that can't be done in one particular OS.

DSL Knoppix boots amazing fast and the gui looks good. It found my Mac's usb on the second try, which is nice.

DSL found its way out of VPC without help. That's a first. The VPC extensions won't install, of course, because they were meant for Windows only. Dynebolic Rasta Linux'  DHCP client had to be run manually to get out. Ubuntu pc linux and Knoppix Live had gui failures at runtime.

I'm still living on dialup, so I dial out on the mac and then surf from within the guest OS. VPC 98SE allows me to stream music from Yahoo. Yahoo uses ActiveX controls.

Feather Linux looks interesting, I'll give it a try.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2006, 18:16 »
Well if you run a mac then you might wanna try live CD distros made for a mac

There is an ubuntu ppc live cd or Knoppix PPC