Author Topic: Someone have a general suggestion for...  (Read 1159 times)

obob

• Kudos: 122
Someone have a general suggestion for...
« on: 27 August 2006, 06:05 »
I'm looking for a very straight forward OS for an HTPC, and I do not want to be spending hours playing with it to get it working, any suggestions?

It's also gotta work with my Leadtek TV tuner, which Leadtek only lists drivers for Windows for...and I'm not entirely wanting to run Windows on this computer (my goal was to rig it up for nearly silent operation, turn it on once, and just flip the projection and audio systems off when I'm not using it, it doesn't need to support printers, but it has to support that tuner...)

So, should I just deal with the weekly~ reboot and run Windows, or does a distro exist that'll support the TV tuner (here: http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/tv_tuner/overview.asp?lineid=6&pronameid=93)

And btw, I'm never using ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubunu ever again, in case someone suggests it

after some searching at distrowatch, found this:
http://videolinux.net/
guess it's worth a try, anyone have any comments about it (or PC LinuxOS?)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Someone have a general suggestion for...
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2006, 09:03 »
I was looking into PCLinuxOS just now, and it looks like a fucking nightmare.  From their wiki:
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/IntroDuction
PCLinuxOS is what's called an operating system. When you start your computer, some software must start working otherwise nothing would happen.
This sounds to me like it is a bit too childish for someone with your abilities.  Hell, it's even too childish for me!  I think an adult distro, with a more expert approach would be more appropriate.

The Videolinux looks nice, but you can get any app they include in any distro, if you try hard enough.  Unless they have some specialized hardware drivers, I would just go with something I liked a lot.

obob

« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2006, 11:09 »
alright, lol, another question on this HTPC, i need a screen for the projector i'm gonna build, i have one in my garage, but it's A) a perfect square and B) only about 50" diag

the wall is wood paneling with some defined texture (it's real wood actually) so I can't paint over it, and I can't think of much to put up

I can't afford a proper screen (if i could, I wouldn't be asking for ideas)
so my only idea is to tile some ultra-white printer paper over the wall using clear tape and patience to ensure it's a flat white surface, my issue is that I have pets and it might be damaged by them walking into it/laying against it (i have to re-arrange the room, which moves furnature away from that wall, so it opens it up for them to sleep there...and they like sleeping in this room)

SO
anyone have any other ideas for how i can get a projection screen?
wall is dark gray wood, so i can't project raw onto it if i wanna see anything, i can use the screen from my garage temprorarily, but i don't want to rely on it, given how small the screen actually is compared to how much space it takes up

and i'd really like a ceiling-to-floor solution, without the price of a screen that fits that size

any other materials come to mind that I could use?

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2006, 13:47 »
Quote from: obob
alright, lol, another question on this HTPC, i need a screen for the projector i'm gonna build, i have one in my garage, but it's A) a perfect square and B) only about 50" diag

the wall is wood paneling with some defined texture (it's real wood actually) so I can't paint over it, and I can't think of much to put up

I can't afford a proper screen (if i could, I wouldn't be asking for ideas)
so my only idea is to tile some ultra-white printer paper over the wall using clear tape and patience to ensure it's a flat white surface, my issue is that I have pets and it might be damaged by them walking into it/laying against it (i have to re-arrange the room, which moves furnature away from that wall, so it opens it up for them to sleep there...and they like sleeping in this room)

SO
anyone have any other ideas for how i can get a projection screen?
wall is dark gray wood, so i can't project raw onto it if i wanna see anything, i can use the screen from my garage temprorarily, but i don't want to rely on it, given how small the screen actually is compared to how much space it takes up

and i'd really like a ceiling-to-floor solution, without the price of a screen that fits that size

any other materials come to mind that I could use?

Don't use ultra white. Projectors need a grayish white to even out the blacks. You could use normal paper though as it is close enough to the actual screens colour.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2006, 19:01 »
Well here's a nice site:

The Linux HTPC Howto

They reccommend Debian or KnoppMyth

obob

« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2006, 20:42 »
Quote from: 7031
Don't use ultra white. Projectors need a grayish white to even out the blacks. You could use normal paper though as it is close enough to the actual screens colour.

really?
well, that's good to know
but makes this 500 pack of crisp HP paper worthless then, eh? (it's my printer's normal paper)

what kind of cloth can I use for this? like a white shower curtain? or will a white sheet work ok?