Author Topic: 2 M$ Windoze questions....WebTV & WIN XP MCE  (Read 827 times)

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
2 M$ Windoze questions....WebTV & WIN XP MCE
« on: 28 August 2003, 10:11 »
I just remembered that in Windoze 98 (Original, not Second Edition) Micro$it included something called WebTV, which was actually a true optional feature which could be installed/uninstalled. The feature was then suddenly removed from Win98 SE and all future Windoze. Not that I actually care, but I'm just curious as to why they removed it.

And another question..just what the fucking hell exactly is WinXP Media Center Edition? Everything I read about it gives conflicting answers. Once again, not that I ever plan to use it but I'm just wondering: is it an "OS" that you can get, or must it come with a ready computer? And what exactly is the point of it? I mean I really see no point to it. I have a fantastic cable tv tuner and capture card, firewire, tv-out in my PC that can run both on Win2k and even Linux (tho I never tried yet).

Windows Media Center Computer:
   No it's not a cable outage.
   No it's not a Special News Bulletin.
   But we interrupt the show in progress to bring you this BSOD.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2003, 10:18 »
media center edition is an OEM-only add on to XP Pro for "media center" computers. that is, boxes that have certain hardware, including a certain level of video card and a remote control

as for WebTV for Windows? that's what it became
Go the fuck ~

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2003, 10:27 »
WebTV for Windows was not removed from Windows 98SE. It is on my Windows 98SE Full and my Windows 98SE Upgrade discs(One of the optional components that you can install). It is also an optional component for Windows ME.

It isn't in any NT OS variants.

(EDIT)
You can mod any Windows XP Professional installation to be Windows XP Media Center. It isn't very useful unless you have supported hardware to take advantage of what Media Center has to offer though.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Zombie9920

« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2003, 10:38 »
Proof that WebTV was not removed from Windows 98 SE or Windows ME.

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/waltw/webtvwme.jpg

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/waltw/webtvw98se.jpg

bwid_s_01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2003, 21:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
Proof that WebTV was not removed from Windows 98 SE or Windows ME.

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/waltw/webtvwme.jpg

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/waltw/webtvw98se.jpg

Hey, I'm just wondering what Linux that is in the background and what X it's running with.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2003, 21:27 »
quote:
bwid_s_01: Hey, I'm just wondering what Linux that is in the background and what X it's running with.

Please get your eyes checked. That screenshot is from Windows. Zombie has installed a StyleXP theme (I think it's called Chrome Blue). Just like me, Zombie9920 loves to theme his operating system.

Zombie9920

« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2003, 00:22 »
Yeah. The host OS is Windows XP. The VS is Chrome4XP 2nd Generation (revision 6) located at http://sz1.desktopninja.com/cxp2.html . The color scheme is [4/8] Blue with flag.

I like Virutal PC. It is pretty cool being able to run any x86 OS out there without having to mess with your partations and MBR's. It is also an advantage how you can just up and delete the Virtual Hard drive image associated with any of your installed OSes. It doesn't affect your Host OS at all.

The downside of the Virtual PC is it emulates old, slow as molosses hardware. It emulates a motherboard with the 443BX chipset(w/No AGP Gart), a S3Trio 64v+ PCI  video card, a Sound Blaster 16 ISA Sound card and a Basic 24x or slower CD-ROM drive. It doesn't matter wether you really have a 52x CD-Rom, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD+RW, etc., it emulates a slow CD-ROM drive. The virtual hard drive runs at the speed of like PIO mode 4 or ATA/33(I haven't tested it to know for sure) and it shares the network with your host computer.

If you use Dial-up you have to use an external modem on a shared Com port to get a modem working on the Guest OS. With Dial-up you can use a Winmodem or a external modem(on say Com1) to connect to the internet of your Host machine, then you can use a second external on Com2...or your external on Com1(when using a Winmodem on the host OS) to connect on the Guest machine(at the same time....2 connections at once). You need 2 phone lines to do it, but alot of people nowadays who are forced to use dial-up have a second line so they don't tie up thier main line. Why is that an advantage? Well you can download big files on your host machine then go to the guest machine with the second connection and surf the net at full speed while you are downloading stuff on the host machine. Of course you can use DirectX with it but you don't get 3D Acceleration or AGP Texture support(due to the fact that a S3 Trio 64v+ is not a 3D accelerator). It looks funny having your system Identify your CPU as a Pentium 4 but the chipset is 443BX(Slot 1 Celeron/Pentium II/Pentium III chipset).

It is a great way of experimenting with Linux too. I've seen people ask a few times about a Linux that runs in Windows. With Virtual PC you can run any Linux in Windows.

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2003, 00:37 »
The XP Media Edition was tweaked for use as an entertainment device on TV. You can run it by remote, and other such changes that I'm too lazy too look up.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2003, 16:17 »
VPC is how I manage our Windows gateway server. XP in VPC5 connects via remote admin and remote desktop and controls Server 2K3. I tried VNC, but the Windoze VNC server was a bitch and kept bluescreening and when that would happen, the client would somehow crash OS X back to the logon window.

I don't pretend to understand
Go the fuck ~