Author Topic: Who owns the drivers  (Read 1182 times)

Jack2000

Who owns the drivers
« on: 10 September 2006, 09:05 »
I wonder who realy owns the drivers that come w/ windows
MS itself or the Hardware Manufacturer ?

And is it a crime to use a driver on some other OS that the owner/developer has condemned ?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Who owns the drivers
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2006, 15:40 »
MS could probably say "you must only use this software on Windows" in the EULA and then it would be illegal to run that version of paint etc (why you would want to, I dunno) through wine, and it'd also be illegal to use Windows DLLs, which some people who own Windows licenses do. If you copy them over to a wine installation they can help.

If you own a Windows license, it's legal to use their drivers on another OS I think. You can do that with ndiswrapper for network drivers - dunno of any way with audio drivers though.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.