Author Topic: Ellison: Linux will wipe out microsoft.  (Read 2905 times)

reflux

• Kudos: 0
Ellison: Linux will wipe out microsoft.
« on: 3 April 2003, 18:50 »
CEO of oracle Larry Ellison predicts that the open-source operating system will decimate microsoft.
Full article here
Confirming what many of us already know?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #1 on: 3 April 2003, 19:07 »
ellison hates microsoft. i don't think they will ever properly be eradicated, but you can always hope.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #2 on: 3 April 2003, 19:29 »
Well, that would really be difficult, not to say impossible just yet. I believe that it could be done, just not in the short-term.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #3 on: 4 April 2003, 08:14 »
Consider this: How long is the typical success period for a company? About 15-25 years. M
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #4 on: 6 April 2003, 08:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by cahult:
Consider this: How long is the typical success period for a company? About 15-25 years. M

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 8 April 2003, 16:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Muffin Man:

Support the competition, hurt the monopoly!

i am sorry, nothing personal, this is a mainly semantic issue, but how can there be competition against a monopoly?

microsoft are not a true monopoly because companies such as Apple computing and... RiscOS Ltd (i had to struggle to think of a second one!) are in competition with them. Actually not directo competition, since Apple and RiscOS both make software for non x86 computers. Actually microsoft are a monopoly then, and that's it, but only if you're talking about x86 computers only.

Linux, *BSD and any other open source and free systems are not made by companies and are therefore not in competition with microsoft. using linux will hurt microsoft in that you will pay for less microsoft software, but it will not increase anybody's market share thereby decreasing microsoft's, unless you buy a distro from a *ix vendor, like red hat or mandrake (and i stress, only real bought ones count here). in fact red hat et al are actually microsoft's only true competition right now.

OK OK i know that was a big excercise in pedantry but it had to be said (by some pedant or another!)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2003, 13:43 »
Ah, but then Microsoft will attampt an antitrust suit against the developers of linux...

All 10 million+ of them
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!