Author Topic: .NET  (Read 1902 times)

flap

• Kudos: 137
.NET
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2003, 05:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin9:
So, what the hell is this .net shit?  What is it used for and how does it compare to NT?

Who cares?
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
.NET
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2003, 05:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by flap:

Who cares?

couldn't have said it better myself.

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
.NET
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2003, 07:30 »
quote:
Who cares?

obviously the poster does.  :rolleyes:
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
.NET
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2003, 07:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by raptor:

obviously the poster does.   :rolleyes:  

and this is the wrong place for him I think

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
.NET
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2003, 05:24 »
when the servers in the backend crash the machenery in the factorys, thats one degree/*too little*/ of seperation
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

cloudstrife

• Kudos: 0
.NET
« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2003, 08:25 »
.NET server is simply Windows XP Server Edition.

I have RC2 and boy oh boy does it bloooooow. It's like XP, without the gooey fischer-price shit, and slower.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
.NET
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2003, 22:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by chaosforages:
when the servers in the backend crash the machenery in the factorys, thats one degree/*too little*/ of seperation

:D

flap

• Kudos: 137
.NET
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2003, 22:44 »
.NET isn't an OS btw. There might be a .net edition of windows but .net as a whole is just a set of web-oriented client/server technologies and dev tools.
"While envisaging the destruction of imperialism, it is necessary to identify its head, which is none other than the United States of America." - Ernesto Che Guevara

http://counterpunch.org
http://globalresearch.ca

cdhgold

.NET
« Reply #23 on: 1 February 2003, 01:43 »
To give an idea of what a pig .net server is I installed the RC2 version on an older system Dual Pentium Pro 200 with 128 MB of RAM and just to boot up to desktop it was sucking up 188 MB of swap file. I did find one way to fix all problems with it. I'm now installing Redhat 8.0 on the same system isntead of .net aka XP wanna-be server

leoric1928

.NET
« Reply #24 on: 1 February 2003, 21:41 »
Officially,. .NET "is the Microsoft XML Web services platform, a way of working that allow you to create software as a service." At least that's what the press release says.Back here in real life, the whole .NET thing is really just a Microsoft vision based on distributed computing, a dream of being able to share information over the Internet regardless of operating system, device or programming language.
- by Karl Moore

but for me .NET is just a clone of a JAVA wherein you can run one program to a multi platform, I've heared they hire one Suns personnel to design this .NET thing.

Vader76

.NET
« Reply #25 on: 18 February 2003, 02:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by cdhgold:
To give an idea of what a pig .net server is I installed the RC2 version on an older system Dual Pentium Pro 200 with 128 MB of RAM and just to boot up to desktop it was sucking up 188 MB of swap file. I did find one way to fix all problems with it. I'm now installing Redhat 8.0 on the same system isntead of .net aka XP wanna-be server

maybe you should read the requirements before installing..

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
.NET
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2003, 02:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Vader76:
maybe you should read the requirements before installing..

you are an idiot. where is the sense in upgrading all of my hardware just to run an operating system?? i am currently running redhat 8 on a pII 450 with like 124 mb ram. just try that with windows (pick a version). you shouldnt have to upgrade hardware everytime windows releases another bloated peice of spyware that they call an operating system.

Vader76

.NET
« Reply #27 on: 18 February 2003, 19:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by Xyle: iGeek...:

you are an idiot. where is the sense in upgrading all of my hardware just to run an operating system?? i am currently running redhat 8 on a pII 450 with like 124 mb ram. just try that with windows (pick a version). you shouldnt have to upgrade hardware everytime windows releases another bloated peice of spyware that they call an operating system.

this is name calling already? very childish
you can't compare the 2 OS. Get with the times. Do you expect all the new software to run on old machines?  Why don't you run the redhat 8 on a old 286.

For your information I do have a P166 with 128MB RAM running .NET. And it runs fine for what it suppose to do (Web server and DNS Server)

JH

.NET
« Reply #28 on: 18 February 2003, 19:23 »

Vader76

.NET
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2003, 22:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by X11: Slackware Commando.:
Vader76, you get with the times, Multiuser, a decent shell, how do i ssh to my Windows .NET system and do anything usefull. Windows Terminal Services? bahahahaha maybe on a lan, but accross cable or T1? hell no. Give me a shell account anyday.

I do remote access via terminal services every day form my school to home (DSL) with no probs at all. No lag at all. Its almost like working on the machine if you were actually there.