Author Topic: .NET  (Read 1903 times)

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
.NET
« on: 27 January 2003, 02:19 »
So, what the hell is this .net shit?  What is it used for and how does it compare to NT?

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
.NET
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2003, 02:37 »
No, I actually tried it...

It's slow and has anoying features... Windows NT half-decent, and probably the best OS Microsoft ever made... made a bit, because IBM made most of Windows NT.

To stay on-topic, Windows .NET, which is now called Windows Server 2003, is a joke as a web-server, or even a desktop OS... it's slower and more anoying than any previous Windows versions you ever saw. The main reason people are still buying Windows, because it's easy-to-use (if your not counting the all the bugs and random crashes).
Windows Server 2003 (NOTE: the alpha version which we tested), however is more complicated than it should be.

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Refalm ]

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
.NET
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2003, 02:41 »

Paladin9

• VIP
.NET
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2003, 08:39 »
What is .net based on (i.e.  UNIX, NT, etc...)

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

Stryker

• VIP
.NET
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2003, 08:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin9:
What is .net based on (i.e.  UNIX, NT, etc...)

unix... lol, it's microsoft we're talking about here. I'm sure it's NT. if you are intrested look around http://www.microsoft.com for information. i posted a link in the thread in my previous post.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
.NET
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2003, 21:47 »
.NET is based on .NET--it's a whole new "thing".

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
.NET
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2003, 10:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:
-it's a whole new "thing".

Could that be a first?  
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
.NET
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2003, 14:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk:
.NET is based on .NET--it's a whole new "thing".

No, it's just a distributed version of the same old "shit".
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Paladin9

• VIP
.NET
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2003, 21:09 »
I thought .net was something new that did not run on NT, but something else.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
.NET
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2003, 21:56 »
maybe OS/2?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

cocoamix

• Kudos: 0
.NET
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2003, 22:15 »
I just want to know: how does M$ manage to use a top-level domain name as its own buzzword?

Are they going to claim .com and .org as their babies too?

To me, and millions of others .net is a top-level domain name, not some bullshit from M$.

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: cocoamix ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
.NET
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2003, 02:15 »
dotNet is dumb. as is all of microsofts "innovative" new.... things. it is supposed to create an environment that will allow programmers and developers use whichever language they want and have the program run in a similar environment. namely, windows. you can use any microsoft programming language to program for a microsoft platform. that my freinds is one degree of seperation. all businesses using the same platform, the same software. all owned & controlled by one company. scary & i dont think people will dig it. once they learn. but then again. this is just what i have gathered from reading & searching online. and of course from microsofts lovely marketing department.

Paladin9

• VIP
.NET
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2003, 21:12 »
That still does not really answer my question.  I already know that it probably sucks.  I want to know what exacally it is for and what it runs on behind the scenes. Microsoft as usuall, always blows about how great it is, but does not do a good job of explaining what it is.

Stryker

• VIP
.NET
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2003, 21:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin9:
That still does not really answer my question.  I already know that it probably sucks.  I want to know what exacally it is for and what it runs on behind the scenes. Microsoft as usuall, always blows about how great it is, but does not do a good job of explaining what it is.

And they are the ones making it, how can you expect us to explain it any better? where's our source of information? same as yours. it's not developed completely yet, i haven't touched it. i dont know. we'll have to wait, but hopefully never have to find out.

raptor

• Kudos: 56
    • http://calyptos.com
.NET
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2003, 05:00 »
.NET is the name of their 2003 server series.

RC2 was released, Were the bugs even fixed in RC1?
"in a world without fences, who needs gates?"