Author Topic: absurd prices  (Read 1094 times)

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
absurd prices
« on: 20 August 2002, 20:14 »
Me, I'm a linux user. But I have to admit that microsoft isn't a piece of shit, it just is compared to *nix systems. But I was wondering what your thoughts were on the very significant price difference.http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/advancedserver/howtobuy/pricing/default.asp
$4000 for something that you can get for free can do so much better? I'm not just talking out of my ass or anything either, I have their server. (it was a gift i didn't buy it) I have to go, I need to make samba my domain controller real quick...

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
absurd prices
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2002, 23:16 »
ummm, overpriced compared to free *nix's, then agian, over 8 cpus, and you have to pay for a solarise license, which i don't think is cheap. but on that point, windows can't even run on 8+ procs so nevermind
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
absurd prices
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2002, 00:53 »
No one makes a Pentium based machine with more than 8 CPUs that I am aware of, Windows only runs on x86.  And if you are going to run Solaris on more than 8 CPUs yer also going to have to trade in that PC for a Sparc.  Linux *will* run on more than 8 CPUs on hardware capable of more than 8 CPUs, however it doesn't perform optimally the more CPUs you run over that many.  But yeah, Windows is basically a waste of money no matter how you slice it.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

dbl221

• Kudos: 0
absurd prices
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2002, 01:08 »
Well Linux is a whole lot cheaper but because the suits are idiots they think that the more expensive option must be better because it's ... well...it's more expensive.   Hows that for logic.

I am not kidding this is how suits think.   :confused:  

The price of "support" is also key in the suit mind.

Nevermind that the big computer companies like IBM and HP will happily take your money and support linux to your hearts content...go-figure
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

Chooco

absurd prices
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2002, 10:35 »
you think that's a rip? check out Microsoft SQL Server
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/production.asp

prices start at $1200 per computer

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
absurd prices
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2002, 19:48 »
You think SQL is bad?  Come on, in New Zealand (nowhere near Texas) M$ WORD costs $1000, M$ EXCEL costs $1000, M$ ACCESS costs $2000 and OFFICE costs $2500
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Chooco

absurd prices
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2002, 23:36 »
i got MS office 97 i thnk it is for about 250 Canadian, i think Word is a pretty good program  

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
absurd prices
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2002, 04:40 »
What the fuck, $20,000 per processor? How the hell can that be legal? unless of course they are supplying the processors (which I would instantly replace). Seriosly, are they providing the hardware or just some crappy server software? I have a little 400mhz that could handle what they are offering...

Chooco

absurd prices
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2002, 11:47 »
i'm on Linux and i do use MySQL, isn't that ironic  

now if a microsoft dummy i would be like 6 grand (US dollars) in the hole.

Doctor V

absurd prices
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2002, 06:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
What the fuck, $20,000 per processor? How the hell can that be legal? --

How can it be legal?  Easy be a multi-billionaire.  Then anything is legal.  M$ survives by using under the table deals, buying politicians, and uber-expensive lawyers.

As far as code goes, the difference between Win2K server and Win2K Advanced server is probably very very small.  Hell I wouldn't be shocked if it were the exact same OS but with one small variable being different.  Talking about only a x=2 vs. x=8 somewhere hidden in the code.  Its possible, no?  The only real difference is about 3000$ on the price tag.

What really bothers me as that people actually buy this shit.  But, as stated above, thats how suits think.  The saying goes, "you get what you pay for".  Nothing but fucktards Were talking about the "important" people here, you know, the ones that make all the decisions.  If it wasn't for such people, M$ would have fallen under long ago.

V

www.unixsucks.com

• Kudos: 56
    • http://www.unixsucks.com
absurd prices
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2002, 06:51 »
Difference is actually pretty significant.
Advanced server supports 8 CPUs while standard version only 4, the same goes for memory (8 Gb vs 4 Gb).
But that's not where code is different.
It's clustering and load balancing support which adds to the price.
And please go and check the prices for box with 8 CPUs from one of the commercial UNIX vendors, then add costs Veritas Cluster Server and you'd be talking 2x price of Microsoft OS.
Gregory Suvalian

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
absurd prices
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2002, 07:59 »
They'd have to supply more than just the processors to get me t pay 20K each
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
absurd prices
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2002, 08:01 »
Unless of course you are running Linux on that 16 processor box, with free clustering software if you need it...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Doctor V

absurd prices
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2002, 08:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by www.unixsucks.com:
Difference is actually pretty significant.
Advanced server supports 8 CPUs while standard version only 4, the same goes for memory (8 Gb vs 4 Gb).
But that's not where code is different.
It's clustering and load balancing support which adds to the price.
And please go and check the prices for box with 8 CPUs from one of the commercial UNIX vendors, then add costs Veritas Cluster Server and you'd be talking 2x price of Microsoft OS.

Ahhh, OK now I get it.  Clustering and load balance support is it?  For 3k$?  And 4GB memory?  Dosn't exactly add up to me.  The price is so high for what?  The development costs?  When there is better software available for free.  Anyone who thinks that there is any chance in HELL that that "clustering and load balancing support which adds to the price" would sell for anywhere near 3K$ if it was not for monopolistic practices that fool the pubilc ("suits"), and force compeditors out of the marketplace, is a moron in every sense of the word.  And anyone who would invest in such a pathetic product has obviously been tricked by the numerous M$ marketing scams.  Being thousands in the hole and gaining nothing for it really adds up to being screwed over.  Yes, M$ screws people over every day, BillyG built the whole company on screwing people over.  Including you.

V

www.unixsucks.com

• Kudos: 56
    • http://www.unixsucks.com
absurd prices
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2002, 21:00 »
I think you shall be having examples where Linux is running on 8 or 16 CPU system with free clustering?
Gregory Suvalian