Author Topic: Xubuntu+Compiz on a PIII 800 MHz  (Read 1472 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Last Edit: 13 December 2009, 03:36 by Refalm »

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Re: Xubuntu+Compiz on a PIII 800 MHz
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2008, 20:05 »
The only drawback I see, is that it requires proprietary video (restricted) drivers.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: davidnix71
The only drawback I see, is that it requires proprietary video (restricted) drivers.

So what?
I use NVidia drivers. I'm glad they make them for Linux.

If I want Linux, I need to be able to set my monitor to 75 Hz, and play some videogames once in a while.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2008, 23:04 »
Quote from: Refalm
So what?
So, some of us care to be using free software, did you not know? Free software means free code, means distributors can make an effort to support it in configurations of Xorg where the drivers are not foreign (they are DRI). It means we don't have to promise not to share or reverse engineer and fix the driver, etc, but are encouraged to be free with it instead. This, to me, is what I would chose given the choice. That's what.

david, afaik, with a cheap radeon, or maybe one of the ATi rage cards, this would work out of the box. I wish I had my old computer with onboard rage working. I've done this in out-of-the-box Ubuntu with a radeon 9700 before.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2008, 15:21 »
Very impressive...  especially with all the beryl effects running on an GF2/MX400.  

Now compare that to freaking vista that needs a top of the line so called "directx10" card to do similar stuff.

I really wish nvidia wasn't such a bunch of nutsacks about releasing programming specs.  

If ATI does, I will become an ATI gfx man.

BTW, why not add openarena to that box and show how it can be used for gaming too :)
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2008, 12:23 »
Vista only needs a DX9 card, like a Radeon 9550 or something, but vista's effects are far less impressive then that.

I've run Compiz on an 800MHz duron, with an nVidia Geforce 2 before, it wasn't bad at all.
sig.

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2008, 14:06 »
AFAIK AMD have plans to release more documentation to developers. I think they've released select pieces already, but under NDA terms.
Contains scenes of mild peril.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2008, 20:16 »
I wouldn't whine about it too much, they do a better job at supporting Linux than most manufacturers do.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2008, 15:20 »
I've got a load of old, crappy parts lying around, including a PIII-450 machine I test stuff on, maybe I could try that with compiz sometime
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2008, 20:57 »
very old and poor? my main desktop PC is still a 700MHz P3, and i have relatively few problems with the latest mandriva, though to be fair i am using XFce, not gnome/kde, and i probably wouldn't even try to get all that 3d eyecandy to work etc.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism