Author Topic: Make me not love Vista, go ahead, TRY  (Read 3614 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Make me not love Vista, go ahead, TRY
« on: 14 August 2008, 19:18 »
I challenge you to tell me of anything this operating system does behind my back. It doesn't crash, it is more stable than Linux by all standards of the word. I don't have a TPM, so no you can dismiss the stories of DRM wiping grub and all those nasties. I want to hear something valid to do with things I cannot control on my own computer.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: Make me not love Vista, go ahead, TRY
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2008, 04:36 »
I challenge you to tell me of anything this operating system does behind my back. It doesn't crash, it is more stable than Linux by all standards of the word. I don't have a TPM, so no you can dismiss the stories of DRM wiping grub and all those nasties. I want to hear something valid to do with things I cannot control on my own computer.

Damn, it has to be system-related?  You mean we can't mention how you've been successfully suckered into supporting an artificial tiered-pricing system by dropping $400 on the Ultimate version because the options that would save you money are intentionally crippled?  Dammit!  ;)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2008, 07:32 »
I'm using a cracked version of Ultimate. I didn't pay for it, don't go into the irony of a Randroid-Pirate please.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2008, 07:36 »
That's really more like hypocricy than irony.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2008, 07:58 »
Yeah. Though considering I like it so much I'll have every reason to buy it, and you are allowed to use pirate copies for 60 days legally, not allowed to crack them, but I did anyway. I'm sure Microsoft will send out some ingenious update that breaks that crack and I'll finally probably buy a copy.

SiMuLaCrUm

• Kudos: 143
  • OMGWTFBBQ
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2008, 16:38 »
Wouldn't that genuine advantage crap catch that? It is sent in auto-update form.
Proudly posted on a computer

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2008, 17:38 »
I'm sure Microsoft will send out some ingenious update that breaks that crack and I'll finally probably buy a copy.

I just said that genius.

SiMuLaCrUm

• OMGWTFBBQ
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2008, 00:30 »
You can get around that. I usually do. (MINES NOT PIRATED) I just don't like the problems it causes.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2008, 08:56 »
Yeah. Though considering I like it so much I'll have every reason to buy it, and you are allowed to use pirate copies for 60 days legally, not allowed to crack them, but I did anyway. I'm sure Microsoft will send out some ingenious update that breaks that crack and I'll finally probably buy a copy.

There I go confusing you with Jack again.  DMCA covers that here, and I'd imagine the Berne Convention has some pretty strong disincentives to that behaviour.  Then again, Australia didn't exactly reject the Berne Convention, did it?  Perhaps my understanding of the interpretation is lax and deserves some correction.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2008, 09:09 »
I'm saying Microsoft don't seem to care for 60 days. You don't get asked to Activate for about that long. Every Windows product as far as I know is legally shareware nowadays.

The Australian Government is far too busy helping aboriginals gang rape children, locking out the cities past 2am, and appointing judges that give suspended sentences to sick fucks that gang rape retarded girls to worry about piracy.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2008, 09:12 by Kintaro »

SiMuLaCrUm

• OMGWTFBBQ
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2008, 15:44 »
Odd because the trial period for Windows is usually 30 days before it starts locking itself down. Maybe its different in the US.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2008, 16:31 »
I might be wrong, I heard 60 days. It's the same Ultimate as everywhere else, including the US, though. I'm using FC9 at the moment to get some stuff on Gnutella. Windows has a serious lack of Gnutella clients that arn't featureless. The new version of shareaza is faggotry designed for morons and won't even tell me what PORT it listens on so I can set the shitty thing up.

So there is some software missing on Windows. I built gtk-gnutella under cygwin fine but the X server for Windows keeps crashing and I'll have to update it.

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2008, 17:37 »
I might be wrong, I heard 60 days. It's the same Ultimate as everywhere else, including the US, though. I'm using FC9 at the moment to get some stuff on Gnutella. Windows has a serious lack of Gnutella clients that arn't featureless. The new version of shareaza is faggotry designed for morons and won't even tell me what PORT it listens on so I can set the shitty thing up.
What about Frostwire? Last time I checked that was Gnutella.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2008, 18:35 »
What about Frostwire? Last time I checked that was Gnutella.

Platform: Java

No thanks.

bob_v5

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #14 on: 7 December 2008, 03:59 »
hi. first post on here. I used vista for a short time on a friends machine. I don't remember the spec but it was a much nicer machine than the desktop I type this on. My machine is fast. My friends was slow. I have to repeat, my friends machine is significantly more powerful. His has two core's and an extra gig of ram. Not a big fan of microsoft but I use xp anyway, just because it is convieniant. While i am intrested to see windows 7(I like the name even if the OS sucks) I see no purpose to vista.

Kintaro-- you say you like vista, but you wont use java. I also dislike java, because it is inefficient and slow. I dislike vista for the same reason. You mention that vista is more stable. My xp machine is solid. It crashes in only 2 situations.
1- When using the 3d part of the graphics card it will occasionaly lock up. I can't be certain, but I suspect this is due to the water damage from when my cooling system leaked. It was fine before the leak. (side note, if you have a water damaged component, try cleaning it with distilled water and a toothbrush. I give no promise, but it took my graphics card from "fucked" to "kinda dodgy")
2-When I do something stupid. The most recent was when I installed 2 different driver's for my hacked playstaion pad. That was dumb. It was my fault (I was drunk) and not a fault of the os.

I would consider the poor performance a reason not to love vista, so I ask you a counter question. Can you tell me a reason I should love vista? go ahead, TRY!

Additional ramble-- I don't wish to change from xp. It was only a few months before vista that I got xp running the way I wanted. Although I will be forced to upgrade at some point to keep my system compatible, I have no reason to do so other than the fact that I know eventually software will not be available for xp. It was the same when going from 98 to xp. I admit 98 was unstable, but after using my mum's computer last week (win 98), the only thing that bugged me was the fact that firefox wouldn't install. Because of this my mum is considering buying a many-gigahertz, dual core monster of a machine just to check her email. While this cuts down on the tech support calls I receive, it is power wasting, land fill - filling stupidity. I perhaps should install linux for her, but after she looked on her physical desk when I told her to double click "my computer" on the "desktop" I feel it might be a bad plan.

Sorry if the rant was too much, and hello people!

MOD EDIT:
Replaced ph**cked with the propper spelling. Hope you don't mind, I'm not having a go, this place used to be called FuckMicrosoft.com  LOL
« Last Edit: 7 December 2008, 13:21 by Aloone_Jonez »
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people.