Author Topic: saving streaming media just got harder  (Read 1638 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
saving streaming media just got harder
« on: 17 August 2008, 20:55 »
Liveleak just switched to true streaming flv's. The usual Firefox plugins no longer work. But, strangely enough Real has released version 11 and it includes a pluging that will actually save the stream. I'm a little uneasy with that, because I now am forced to give it network access in order to save things. That means it can call home and tell my business.

On a pc you can use Orbit, I'm told. I still have a ppc mac. The only other way is to force capture the screen with payware.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: saving streaming media just got harder
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2008, 21:38 »
$ cd /tmp
$ ls *.flv

Was that hard you inbred?

C:\> cd "C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Temp" (or something like that)
C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Temp> dir *.flv

I'm sure you can work out the same on mac.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2008, 21:40 by Kintaro »

davidnix71

« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2008, 06:15 »
Doesn't work anymore, that's the problem. "pragma = no cache, must revalidate" and stuff like that. They are hiding the original files. Unplug and KeepVid plugins don't work at all, anymore.

I looked at the download helper from Real. It's spliting/copying the stream to a folder.

Google does it differently. They split the video into pieces. As soon as one part is cached it begins deleting what has played and then caches the next segment. No matter how fast your finger are, it isn't all there in Firefox's cache to grab.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2008, 06:18 by davidnix71 »

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2008, 06:49 »
Wow, they even managed to crack down on that. I had a shell script somewhere that could get Google Vid's easily a while back that I wrote - I guess that won't work either. The Firefox extensions should get updated sometime, personally I've never used them and only badly wanted an FLV once and it was in /tmp.

davidnix71

« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2008, 08:02 »
KeepVid has a script now. I had some trouble getting it to work because they use pc speak and I didn't exactly follow it.
If I bookmark a script on KeepVids home page, when I'm playing something, click on the bookmarked script, it will tell me where the file is.
One more click and save as to keep it.

It works on LiveLeak for now. The script is javascript which pastes the url into KeppVid's lookup and escapes. Of course if KeepVid is busy or offline, then I have to go back to Real.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2008, 08:11 »
Piracy is a great source of innovation.