Author Topic: Windows 95  (Read 1002 times)

awalpole

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.axygen.com
Windows 95
« on: 3 April 2002, 08:45 »
Its my choice for an operating system..you just click on the boxes..really easy..good for me in business

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Windows 95
« Reply #1 on: 3 April 2002, 09:12 »
And the most often clicked box in Windows 95 is "Program has performed an illegal operation, click OK to terminate application or press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart system as system may be unstable".
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Windows 95
« Reply #2 on: 4 April 2002, 07:55 »
Actually, Win 95 isn't all that bad. I've found that the A Number One cause of crashes is Internut Exploiter. If you don't use it, and if you do some simple maintenance, basically regular (once a week isn't too much) disk defrag, Win 95 will be fairly stable. Not so stable as Linux, but much better than Win ME (although that's not saying much    ) Nor is it excessively bloated, it doesn't feature the spyware of Win XP, doesn't need activation, and it'll run on just about anything. I still find that it's useful on occasion.

Not only that, but I've noticed that Win 98 seems to be making a strong come back. It's back on store shelves, and the asking price hasn't come down at all. More and more, folks are growing fed up with XP     and are returning to what they had before.

Powered by Mandrake Linux and Freedom
Computers are like air conditioners: they can't do their jobs if you open windows
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Windows 95
« Reply #3 on: 4 April 2002, 08:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
Actually, Win 95 isn't all that bad. I've found that the A Number One cause of crashes is Internut Exploiter. If you don't use it, and if you do some simple maintenance, basically regular (once a week isn't too much) disk defrag, Win 95 will be fairly stable. Not so stable as Linux, but much better than Win ME (although that's not saying much     ) Nor is it excessively bloated, it doesn't feature the spyware of Win XP, doesn't need activation, and it'll run on just about anything. I still find that it's useful on occasion.

Not only that, but I've noticed that Win 98 seems to be making a strong come back. It's back on store shelves, and the asking price hasn't come down at all. More and more, folks are growing fed up with XP      and are returning to what they had before.

Computers are like air conditioners: they can't do their jobs if you open windows

Look out, here comes DOS 6.22!!!!!
  :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

jtpenrod

• VIP
Windows 95
« Reply #4 on: 4 April 2002, 12:57 »
quote:
Look out, here comes DOS 6.22!!!!!

There may be more truth to that than you know. What other company's nearly four year old products still sell for what they cost when new? Check out the prices in stores, or check out some of the OEMs: there are no price breaks if you select Win 98 or Win ME instead of taking Win XP. The demand is definitely there. Besides, how are Win 98 or Win ME any better than Win 95? That was their last good idea, and everything that's come after has just gotten worse, not better. M$'s ability to fool people seems to be reaching its limit.  :D  

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

iustitia

Windows 95
« Reply #5 on: 4 April 2002, 17:52 »
I actually know a guy that dosen't know how to use windows at all.  He's a devoted Dos user.  He resents that he even has to touch the gui to use the school computers.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have found the trillionth easily preventable bug in a Microsoft OS.  You have just won the privlage of being frustrated with an over priced, unreliable OS that makes you conform to its standards.  How does that make you feel?

iustitia

Windows 95
« Reply #6 on: 4 April 2002, 17:56 »
quote:
Besides, how are Win 98 or Win ME any better than Win 95

just a subtle point.  Windows 95 dosen't include support for my nic drivers or the full volume of my hardrive.  ONLY 32 GIGS!!!  :confused:
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have found the trillionth easily preventable bug in a Microsoft OS.  You have just won the privlage of being frustrated with an over priced, unreliable OS that makes you conform to its standards.  How does that make you feel?

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows 95
« Reply #7 on: 4 April 2002, 19:16 »
no USB support win w95.
even w98v1 doesn't even do that right...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows 95
« Reply #8 on: 4 April 2002, 20:56 »
i meant in the real world.

Actually i haven't tried win95 for a while, and certainly haven't tried out USB support, still i know that what M$ claims is 'da facts' and what actually is are two totally different things...

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Windows 95
« Reply #9 on: 4 April 2002, 23:25 »
okay! okay! i was just saying i bet win95 and USB doesn't work for everybody or everything.
In fact lets hear if anybody out there has had a USB thing go horribly wrong with win95...

foobar

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Windows 95
« Reply #10 on: 5 April 2002, 00:07 »
have any of you ever read 'the death of a thousand strings' by robert jung ? I once thought that win 95 wasn't so bad either, until i read it.

quote:

can't find the link to it - yet.

ah, here it is.

http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/mac/Death-of-a-Thousand-Stings.html

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: -=f00bar=- ]

Linux user #283039

Gosh, I love Linux Quake.

jtpenrod

• VIP
Windows 95
« Reply #11 on: 5 April 2002, 05:37 »
quote:
 have any of you ever read 'the death of a thousand strings' by robert jung ? I once thought that win 95 wasn't so bad either, until i read it.
I read it and what he's discussing in the article are basically SWTs (Stupid Winders Tricks). It can get pretty annoying, and what I really love is how the documentation for M$ Office never mentions some really nice features; they save these for the "Tip of the Day"  :mad:  then, suddenly, there's something you can really use. (And if you forget, you're SOL till it comes up again.  :mad:    :mad:  )

This is also why I'm not real partial to GNOME. For whatever fucked-up reason, GNOME actually duplicates a lot of these annoying tendencies. (My favorite is the MS two-step: right click an icon to bring up a menu, then left click to actually launch the app.) it's so much nicer and easier to use KDE, just left click to get the app up and running. KDE does an excellent job in cleaning up these little messes.