Author Topic: Win 98 SE Boot Disk  (Read 890 times)

AlexMax

• Kudos: 0
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« on: 11 October 2002, 06:08 »
This POS computer I am trying to install Windows 98 on can't boot from a CDROM.  Or maybe it can, but the BIOS is fucking locked with a password that is long forgotten so I can't check.

Is there a way to make a Windows 98 SE setup boot floppy from scratch?  Or is that against their fucking EULA and I now have to buy another copy (which I won't).

And before you ask, I AM going to install Linux (Mandrake, to be specific) as well on a seporate partition, it's just that I have to share a computer with a shit for brains sister who only seems to hate Linux because I like it, and hell, she can't agree with me on ANYTHING...(unfortunatly, my mother also sides with her, so making it pure Linux is out of the question.  Goddamn shame, I had to reformat a RH 7.3 partition just to make her happy.)

Any ideas?  I don't want to sign up for another forum just to ask a simple question.

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: AlexMax ]

Using a Microsoft product and hating every moment of it is the first step to liberation.

Windows XP User?
Windows XP LOSER! Go fuck yourself!

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2002, 06:33 »
Tell your mother and sister to sign up on another forum to ask the question. When they get done getting the Winblows installed, come back and we'll help you get Linux installed.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Gooseberry Clock

• http://redrangersoftware.cjb.net/
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2002, 17:07 »
Code: [Select]
If none of those work, then try !Bios. If that doesn't work, then try booting up while holding down keys such as Insert, Delete, Home, etc. That should erase the CMOS.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2002, 17:39 »
there might well be a jumper or switch of some sort inside the case that you can reset. Then when you switch on the machine, it will automatically go into the BIOS so that you can set up the settings. Might be worth a try.

Sounds like windows is fucked, leave a blank partition of 2 or 3 gigabytes at the start of the drive when you install linux, and let your mother and your sister sort it out. remember to keep a boot disk for linux kicking around so you can still boot into it when windows rudely overwrites your master boot record.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

pkd_lives

Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2002, 19:09 »
A suggestion. Tell your parents they will have to buy new stuff. And tell them..well with linux I can get that on, but not windows, without a new computer - or something. When they have to find money people start to think then. Of course it may not work and they will end up will XP.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2002, 19:38 »
more fool them, at least it won't be infecting the linux machine...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2002, 21:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Calum:
there might well be a jumper or switch of some sort inside the case that you can reset. Then when you switch on the machine, it will automatically go into the BIOS so that you can set up the settings. Might be worth a try.

Such a jumper is usually marked reset or clear password or something.  You can also yank the battery out for 20 minutes but you will have to reset everything in the bios.  If I were you, I'd get control of my bios.  Forget the boot floppys.

However, if you insist on the boot floppy thing, there is a boot floppy image on the Win98 CDROM somewhere.  I know, I made one for my dual boot system.  You can also find them on the net with google.  YOu will need dd or rawrite to make the floppy.

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2002, 11:16 »
It's probably against the forum rules to help with Windows problems, but y not?

Any Windows 9x cd cannot boot from CD

if u still need a bootdisk though visit http://www.bootdisk.com

p.s. *whispers*use linux  ;)

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: Engineer ]

=)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Win 98 SE Boot Disk
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2002, 20:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by M. O'Brien:

You can also yank the battery out for 20 minutes but you will have to reset everything in the bios