Author Topic: Europe wants removeable batteries  (Read 921 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Europe wants removeable batteries
« on: 9 October 2008, 20:34 »
http://mobile.slashdot.org/mobile/08/10/09/1510259.shtml

I do agree with this. I think it is ridiculous that they make you send your phone or MP3 player in to get the battery changed out.
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Europe wants removeable batteries
« Reply #1 on: 9 October 2008, 22:18 »
I'd like them to go further by suggesting a range of stnadard battery sizes and chemistries to help reduce prices and vendor lock-in. This will also encourage people to replace the batteries rather then throw out their old appliances as the batteries will be cheaper to replace.

I hope this directive doesn't cover things like watches as some need the batteries to be replaced by a skilled technician to keep them water tight.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2008, 03:38 »
Of course that will open the market for 3rd party batteries, cutting into Apple's revenue stream.  Which is why they did it that way in the first place.  By now, though, I should think their market is set firmly, and they can afford to take this hit.  The re-engineer shouldn't be a big deal, if they decide to kowtow to the EU's demands.

The EU sure does seem to make a lot of demands that a confederation has no business making.  Most of them seem okay, but it seems weird that they would exert that much influence on the tech market.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2008, 03:39 »
Standard battery sizes would be nice, like cars have. But I cannot imagine manufacturers would be to happy to re design their products to all fit the same battery.

EDIT: Yeah I agree, even though their demands seem alright they are kind of weird. Almost like they have actual people leading!
sig.