Author Topic: Shiretoko  (Read 1346 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Shiretoko
« on: 26 January 2009, 08:09 »
...is the code name for Firefox 3.1.  Been using it for quite some time, but it's only in the latest versions that it has the new name.  I'm on beta3, and believe it or not, it is actually noticeably faster than the beta2 version.  However, it is having some problems identifying itself.  The Firefox welcome page begs me to upgrade to a newer version, even though it has a build date of today, and the upgrade link is a recursive pointer to the same beta3 that trips the page in the first place.  Yahoo had a little fit too, insisting that I needed a newer browser to use the features of its main page - which of course is not true.

3.2 early alphas are also available, but I figure it's best not to get too far ahead.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3pre) Gecko/20090125 Shiretoko/3.1b3pre

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Shiretoko
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2009, 20:37 »
Maybe the rev. 1.9.1b3pre is throwing sites off?
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2009, 23:48 »
More likely the fact that it identifies as Shiretoko, and not as Firefox.  Yahoo suggests a list of browsers that I should use, including Firefox and Mozilla.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2009, 00:59 »
iCab will change it's user agent if a site discriminates against it. There are too many a@@holes out there writing page code.

I use NoScript and get lots of 'please turn on javascript' or 'get a browser that has it' warnings. I even got a "NoScript detected" warning once.

I don't usually spoof my user agent, though. If I pretend to be a peecee, then things won't work right because of differences in javascript between OSX and Windows.