Author Topic: Opera Unite  (Read 1499 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Opera Unite
« on: 16 June 2009, 09:26 »
http://unite.opera.com/
Opera Unite: a Web server on the Web browser

With Opera 10, we are introducing a new technology called Opera Unite, radically extending what you are able to do online. Opera Unite harnesses the power of today's fast connections and hardware, allowing all of us to help define the future landscape of the Web, one computer at a time. Read about how Opera Unite is going to change the way we interact on the Web on labs.opera.com.

What does anyone make of this?
sig.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: Opera Unite
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2009, 10:16 »
Web 2.0

hype?

marketing strategy?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2009, 04:08 »
Looks like more than that. If I can web host from my own computer then the middle man gets cut out.

If they can get this to work, Firefox will have to do it to. It looks like fun.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2009, 04:28 »
It does seem neat, but it also seems dangerous.  For one, there's the security issue.  If I am drawing the internet toward content hosted on my computer, how long before someone decides to look around and see what else I've got?  And then there's the ownership issue - if putting something on my computer is legally no different than posting it on a website, then my responsibilities with regard to copyright protection and copyright enforcement go through the roof.

In short, I think the middleman which is being cut out serves an important purpose.  He covers all the hardware costs, bears all the DMCA responsibility, and keeps a vigilant eye for security breeches.  If I thought I could do a better job, I already would have done it.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2009, 07:11 »
You can already web host from your own computer. Apache is free and available for both *nix, OSX and windows. Basically all that Opera did then was make it easier?
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2009, 09:15 »
More than that, I think.  Most people with home broadband access have dynamic IP addresses, and a DNS service can't route to a dynamic address.  OSX has Apache installed by default, but it is designed to be accessed over an intranet, where your computer has a dynamic address but a unique name.

Probably what this Unite does is assign you some sort of unique ID which its service uses to find you.  When you connect to the internet with Opera, your browser broadcasts your IP and your ID to the service, which can then route all requests to you.  Although that begs the question of what happens when you log out.  Can my stuff be viewed when my computer is turned off?  One would think that it could not, unless it was cached somewhere.  And if it is cached somewhere, what exactly is this service providing for us?

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2009, 20:37 »
According to Opera they use universal plug and play services to find each other, and external servers to supplement routing. I guess if you don't have a static IP, it will have to call home to announce and connect. Probably the same way torrent file sharing is done.

http://unite.opera.com/support/

You have to get an account/password from them, so in theory they are watching your back and at the same time have a back door into your box.