Author Topic: Distrust tax  (Read 4278 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Distrust tax
« on: 13 December 2009, 04:55 »
As part of my work-from-home job, I had to visit the Dell website.  Now, I have no plans to ever buy a non-Apple again, but sometimes it's fun to just pretend.  So I went browsing to see what kind of machine I could put together.  I was interested in the Inspiron 537 desktop, just because they come in such neat colors.

Okay, so to the point.  The base price includes Windows 7 Premium.  For an extra $100 (from base price), you can get Windows 7 Professional (I assume this is what I would want?).  For an extra $120 (from base price) you can get Windows 7 Ultimate.

For an extra $120 (from base price), you can get Windows XP.

Windows XP must have paid for its development 200 times over already.  That thing is nothing but profit at this point.  So charging so much money for something that should be basically free is just cruelty.  And yet there is software that I use professionally which isn't tried on Windows 7 (still barely works in Vista).  So at this point, I would have no option but to pay this "not sure yet" tax.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Distrust tax
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2009, 13:45 »
I can't see myself ever buying Windows, again.

I don't see the point, there is no reason for me to have Windows installed.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2009, 17:07 »
Fuck Windows!

*In French*
Windows Guy: J'ai faim. Avez-vous faim?
Linux Guy: Non.
Windows Guy: Pourquoi pas?
Linux Guy: C'est parce que je suis maigre et que vous

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2009, 17:49 »
Dell used to have a FreeDOS option. This is probably another OEM deal with Microsoft.

reactosguy

• Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2009, 19:57 »
Yes they have Ubuntu ONLY on netbooks and the Zino HD, an undesirable option.

It's a trust fund, *kids*. They had a link to dell.ca/open which gives a 404 error.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2009, 22:12 »
Who's gong to want FreeDOS?

As far as I'm concerned FreeDOS is only useful for emulators, hard drive checking tools and really old computers i.e. 486 16MB or less, basically anything too low-powered for Damn Small Linux.

Why not simply minimise the Microsoft tax?

If I were a PC manufacturer, I'd be tempted to ship with Linux plus the cheapest and lightest Windows version pre-configured in a VM. That way the consumer would be happy to run all the Windows software they want with all the functionality of Linux and minimal Microsoft tax.

Talking of VMs, does anyone know if it's possible to dynamically adjust the amount of memory allocated to a VM according to the OS?

The guest OS would obviously need a kernel mode driver but I'm sure it's possible. That way you could initially allocate a small amount of RAM for Windows, i.e. 128MB and increase/decrease it as needs be, once the maximum memory limit is exceeded swap could be used.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2009, 22:24 »
I want FreeDOS with my new Dell.
  • Manufacturer has no shitty deals with the software company
  • No extra OS costs for me
  • Severe cost reduction for the manufacturer, loading the FreeDOS image on a hard-disc is done within seconds
  • No dicking around with serial keys by the manufacturer (cost reduction), the client gets a closed Windows package
  • Easy to remove for me
  • No claims of favouritism from Microsoft or Ubuntu
  • Option to buy Windows as an extra, or an Ubuntu CD for

reactosguy

• Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #7 on: 13 December 2009, 22:45 »
Fuck Dell for not giving Linux systems. Fuck Microsoft for giving planned obsolesce. Fuck FreeDOS for being too old.

I would rather go with a Mac mini, a TouchSmart 300 with Ubuntu, a MacBook (maybe MacBook Air), an iPod touch or an Acer Aspire 1410 with Ubuntu. Dell is nothing but a loyal Microsoftist PC manufacturer. WAR AGAINST MICROSOFTISM!!!

reactosguy

• Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2009, 22:48 »

As far as I'm concerned FreeDOS is only useful for emulators, hard drive checking tools and really old computers i.e. 486 16MB or less, basically anything too low-powered for Damn Small Linux.

Why not simply minimise the Microsoft tax?

If I were a PC manufacturer, I'd be tempted to ship with Linux plus the cheapest and lightest Windows version pre-configured in a VM. That way the consumer would be happy to run all the Windows software they want with all the functionality of Linux and minimal Microsoft tax.

Talking of VMs, does anyone know if it's possible to dynamically adjust the amount of memory allocated to a VM according to the OS?

The guest OS would obviously need a kernel mode driver but I'm sure it's possible. That way you could initially allocate a small amount of RAM for Windows, i.e. 128MB and increase/decrease it as needs be, once the maximum memory limit is exceeded swap could be used.

If I were a PC manufacturer, I would give users an option to try Ubuntu or Puppy with Wine and Beryl. When ReactOS is stable (hence my name) I would give them that.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2009, 00:51 by reactosguy »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 14 December 2009, 00:05 »
I'd rather have Linux over FreeDOS any day, even Ubuntu, at least if I don't like it I download a different distribution.

The Internet under FreeDOS is only semi-functional, what browsers are there apart from Lynx and Arachne which might not be compatible with the site where you want to download Linux from?

How's ReactOS going? I've never tried it. Maybe I'll try it in VirtualBox.

I suppose React OS only needs to be able to run all the FOSS programs Windows can and work on most computers in order for it to become useful. NTFS support would also be very useful, perhaps 3G could be ported but as it's a FUSE driver it'll need some kind of bootstrap.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2009, 00:23 »
In related news, Dell also sells a whole bunch of different mp3 players.  However, none of them are iPods.

reactosguy

• Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2009, 00:55 »
How's ReactOS going? I've never tried it. Maybe I'll try it in VirtualBox.

I've never tried it either but I hope ReactOS 0.5 comes out soon. They have a lack of manpower and 34 developers. It's not reasonable as Windows has 1000 developers. They need more developers. Is there a developer here that can help ReactOS?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2009, 01:53 »
I've just given it a shot, I didn't bother installing it, I just downloaded an image.

It's obviously half finished but it seems to be quite fast and stable even in a VM with only 192MB RAM.

I tried downloading Firefox using the built-in downloader program but it didn't work. I don't know if it's ReactOS's poor Internet connectivity, if it doesn't support the emulated network card or is a problem with the downloader or just its configuration.

It doesn't have guest additions so installing software onto it is a pain. I had to put Firefox in an ISO image and mount that. I tried installing Firefox 3.5.5 but it failed, maybe I'll try 3.0 or 2.0.

I've had a go at installing Inkscape which is seems to be progressing albeit really slowly, I'm not hopeful.

I think there needs to be an alternative to Linux, don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with Linux, I just think there should be more personal choice. I hope that Sky OS is made FOSS again and some big company starts maintaining it.

Then there's Google's Chrome OS, Linux based I know but if there's anyone who can make a Linux desktop hit the mainstream it's Google.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2009, 12:57 by Aloone_Jonez »

reactosguy

• Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2009, 03:44 »
I just wish I could contribute to the GUI and basic requirements of ReactOS and make it look more like a LXDE genre while improving on the basic system requirements (e.g. 32MB of RAM needed can be one half of the requirement as well as the hard drive space requirement).

And then again, for people who JUST need the web, look at Fusion Garage's Joo Joo. Wish I could be a part of their team and add many improvements to make it attractive and stylish while fully functional and requires no need for learning (just like your voice).

Microsoft again builds complicated stuff. What we need is simplicity, and Microsoft doesn't follow that UNIX philosophy.

Or, I could just build my own simple OS (something like DSL but needs no learning like the Joo Joo). With my own 16 apps and the security philosophies of Chrome, which I am using. And the simplicity of the Joo Joo.

The best path for Bill Gates though was to be a doctor instead of a multi billionaire (as his parents wished).

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2009, 07:37 »
Dell does or atleast did offer Ubuntu as a factory option on some lower end desktops and laptops. Guess not anymore?

As far as the Windows XP "tax" goes, I believe it is because Microsoft is trying very hard to kill XP as quickly as possible. So MS won't cut Dell the same pricing deals if they go with XP instead of 7
sig.