Miscellaneous > Applications

I'm moving back to Opera!

(1/10) > >>

Aloone_Jonez:
I've had enough with the bloatware that Firefox has become.

I'm moving back to Opera, at least on the Windows platform.

I only used Firefox because if Adblock, now I've discovered how to block adverts on Opera it doesn't mater any more.

Opera has other features which I find handy: speed dial, notes and being able to paste stuff into the Google/address bar and it'll take you to the site without having to press enter. I know it's possible to get them with Firefox via extensions but they're available in Opera native. The Firefox speed dial is also slower than a slug on morphine.

There are only thing I prefer with Firefox is the page search bar but it's no big deal.

In general I do prefer FOSS but I'm not going to use it when there's a blatantly superior non-free alternative which doesn't lock me into using it by having proprietary formats and standards. On the contrary, Opera rivals Firefox and other FOSS browsers when it comes to supporting open standards.

On the Linux platform, I might switch to Swiftfox. I had a quick go at installing Opera on Fedora which was a failure and going from my memories of running Opera under Ubuntu and Vector Linux, it was slower loading than Firefox but maybe it's improved since then.

reactosguy:
Uhh, Chrome anyone?

It supports open standards, is licensed under BSD License and is a space saver.

Refalm:
Chrome doesn't have mouse gestures. And other features like the trash can and tab locking that I consider basic.

I was an Opera user for quite some time, but somehow I liked Firefox better because of the addons and the customability. I have learned to use some features in Opera, that are also in the Tab Mix Plus addon for Firefox. The browser can be a slow sometimes, I hope they fixed that in 3.6.

I do know a lot of Opera users, and I still use Opera on my mobile and Wii.

Aloone_Jonez:
I've never used mouse gestures before, I don't see what the fuss is about and speed dial isn't that important to me, even though it's handy.

I've switched browsers a few times: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Firefox and now Opera again. I'm aware of the advantages and disadvantages of the aforementioned browsers and keep on trying them all out because the goal posts move every now and then. To be honest, I think even Internet Explorer has come a fair way since version 6: competition from Firefox and Opera has certainly put a rocked up Microsoft's arse.

Notes and Adblock are the only features I'm really bothered about but speed is the most important thing. Firefox's Adblock extension is still much better than Opera's: with Firefox you can subscribe to a list of blocked elements which gets updated every fortnight with Opera you download a list manually and append it to a .ini file and manually update it. The only reason why I use Adblock is there's one site I visit which is littered with adverts and as long as I can block them all, I don't care.

Opera is much faster loading and it's memory management seems to be much more intelligent. It seems to suck up memory up to a certain point and hold on to it for a certain length of time which probably depends on the available resources, then bang it releases the memory. I remember it taking up to 120MB after opening loads of tabs, I closed the tabs and the memory usage didn't go down much; I looked at the memory usage a bit later and it had gone down to 20MB. Pages also seem to load much faster under Opera.

I've played with Google Chrome but I've never warmed to it. I don't like the way you have to install it per user under Windows for a start and it just seems very basic and minimalist.

davidnix71:
NoScript addon in Firefox with Cookie Monster is the safe way. Firefox is slow to render. I just got a 13.3" MacBook Pro to replace my G4 laptop and there is a huge difference in rendering speed. I like Opera's built-in torrent client.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version