Miscellaneous > Applications

I'm moving back to Opera!

<< < (2/10) > >>

Aloone_Jonez:
I've used NoScript before, it's installed and enabled by default on the Windows administrator account.

I think it's overrated security wise unless you don't have any trusted sites on it, there's always a risk that one of your trusted sites could get compromised.

Firefox does warn you before entering a site that Google says contain malware but I don't know if Opera does this too. There again Opera does have less vulnerabilities than Firefox over all so even if it doesn't warn you, you're still reasonably safe.

Lead Head:
The firefox warning thing for "bad sites" is not necessarily for malware either. It is often used with phishing sites that may pose as PayPal or some other legitimate site to try and steal your identity. I would be surprised if Opera did NOT have this feature.

Aloone_Jonez:
I know it has an anti-phishing filter.

Anyway I don't know because I'm currently using Firefox in Fedora.

piratePenguin:
Good to see that not much has changed around here :D

The most under-rated security feature in any web browser is Firefox's auto-updater.

Ah I've been out of the loop with all the browsers, there are A LOT of good choices nowadays. I just use Firefox cuz its free and it comes on all my Ubuntus, and I've used it for I duno how many years with no problems. Theres a lot of interesting stuff happening to it too, ie Mozilla Labs: Weave (syncing different Firefoxes and mobile Firefoxes), Jetpack (web-page format extensions, yeah click an "install" button and the extension will appear without restarting), Personas (I don't particularly fancy this feature but you have to see the appeal lots of users see, if they can simply do this and create a top-class (HUGE) website of community created themes, why not?). Soon these things and more will be a part of Firefox (all in Firefox 4 2011, Personas in Firefox 3.6 coming soon, rest can use beta-level extensions for now).

Firefox extensions, now Personas, soon Jetpack. The essence of the power of Firefox is in its COMMUNITY. It's ridiculous. And that's why it's the worlds 2nd most popular web-browser. If you account for the the auto-updater, I'd argue it's the #1 safest web-browser for these numbers too. (I dont know if chrome etc have updaters as effective as Firefox, I assume opera still doesnt?)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185562/firefox_roadmap_a_look_at_versions_36_to_40.html

EDIT: this is a very important question. Does Opera (stable releases) support native OGG video? When I googled I got to the experimental builds, worrying if thats all there is. Wouldnt make sense either.
edit: I see the answer is no. That's a pretty big surprise..

Aloone_Jonez:
To be honest, I haven't had too much of a problem with Firefox, it's stable, reliable and has extensions, I've just come to the conclusion that it isn't the best browser, as far as I'm concerned. I knew this whilst I was using it before but I put up with it because I liked Adblock so much.

I don't like auto-updaters because I want to install software when I want to, not when some community/company says so. Auto-update is the first thing I disable, regardless of whether it's Windows, Linux or an application such as Firefox or OpenOffice.org.

The auto-updater is useless as far as I'm concerned: it's a normally disabled under Linux because the distro's update system takes over and under Windows the auto-updater is only any use if you're using the insecure default configuration i.e. running a administrator for everything.

I don't care about OGG support, it's so easy to open in VLC. EDIT: Opera comes with a plug-in preinstalled.

I don't care that Opera totally pawns Firefox when it comes to the Acid 3 test.

I care far more about speed and the features I want more than anything else.

I just discovered another thing I miss with Firefox, it remembers the zoom setting for pages I've visited but on the plus side Opera's zoom is faster and easier to use.

Hell it's personal preference for the most part, I can understand why people use Firefox but I think it's only so popular because it was the first really viable alternative to MS IE. Back in the days of IE 6, the Mozilla suite was to big and clunky and Opera was adware so Windows users had no real choice apart from IE, then Firefox came along and change all of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version