Author Topic: Public Bing  (Read 1606 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Public Bing
« on: 4 January 2010, 12:50 »
The Microsoft building in downtown Bellevue is advertising even more than usual.  It looked similar to this picture, except the Bing lights were green instead of white when I drove by on New Year's Eve.  Although I can't confirm this, I believe the complaints department is located in this building.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Public Bing
« Reply #1 on: 4 January 2010, 13:04 »
The city of Bellevue can complain about the compromising of the skyline over there ;)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #2 on: 5 January 2010, 04:01 »
Certainly is a "cheap" way to get "big" advertising cheap and dirty. Although you'd have to somehow equate "bing" being something relevant to computers, and if you didn't know what bing is, and you wanted to find out, you would probably end up googling what it was.
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 5 January 2010, 18:33 »
Count on Microsoft to leave lights on in empty offices overnight as a way to make money.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 5 January 2010, 18:49 »
I wonder if the building was vandalised by a load of climate change protesters.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 5 January 2010, 20:54 »
I wonder if the building was vandalised by a load of climate change protesters.

"They're LED lights, we promise!"
sig.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2010, 00:45 »
Honestly, if I saw that driving by I wouldn't even notice it; just looks like random lights.  On top of that, even being a computer user who knows what Bing is, I wouldn't equate it with the search engine -- just assume it was someone's inside joke.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2010, 17:03 »
 Yeah, I somewhat agree. There are too many other lights on to really notice it easily. But I will assume that most locals know that as the Microsoft building, so they may be able to equate something with Bing and Microsoft, but mostly likely not as I mentioned earlier.
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2010, 00:51 »
Although you can't see it well in the picture I linked to (which I did not take), it does say "Microsoft" in the upper lefthand corner of the building.  Which is quite clear from I-405.  Also, when I drove by on New Year's Eve, the lights that spell out bing were green, as opposed to the normal whiteish yellow in the rest of the windows.  It was immediately obvious to me that they were spelling bing with window lights.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2010, 18:08 »
Certainly is a "cheap" way to get "big" advertising cheap and dirty. Although you'd have to somehow equate "bing" being something relevant to computers, and if you didn't know what bing is, and you wanted to find out, you would probably end up googling what it was.
Lol that's true, but marketing campaigns don't need to give consumers information about the product to be considered effective. They're just advertising the brand. People who know bing might notice it, might even tell people what those crazy bastards at microsoft are using their lights for, etc etc and it just increases awareness.

I had a great example I wanted to post here about a week ago but it escapes me (there are lots of examples), so I just made my post anyhow.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.