Author Topic: FOOD INC  (Read 935 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
FOOD INC
« on: 14 January 2010, 04:23 »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: FOOD INC
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2010, 02:37 »
It's probably worth watching but I think us Europeans should note that it applies to the US food industry and the EU has many laws to try to stop lots of the bad stuff that happens in the US, not that we shouldn't be concerned about the quality of our food.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2010, 10:56 »
It looks like the same structure and main story as the movie Fast Food Nation, only without the cinematic, actors and such.

Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
It's probably worth watching but I think us Europeans should note that it applies to the US food industry and the EU has many laws to try to stop lots of the bad stuff that happens in the US, not that we shouldn't be concerned about the quality of our food.
The documentary still focusses on the deforestation for soya plants (which 90% are used for livestock, and the rest for consumption by vegetarians etc.). That is a worldwide problem.

I also get angry sometimes for too strict EU food laws, especially in the case of illegal cheese. But maybe those laws are for the better, after seeing the trailer of this movie.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2010, 14:15 »
I've heard all the environmentalists saying that we should all become vegetarians because it's more environmentally friendly as well as being better for animal welfare.

I agree that it's more efficient to just eat vegetables rather than feeding to animals then eating them. However animals can eat things that we can't: for example cows can extract nutrition from grass more efficiently than us and pigs can recycle waste food into pork but the EU prohibits this unless the food is vegetables. I think that we're not making full use of animals to eat foods that we can't, for example has anyone examined the feasibility of feeding animals kelp? Some spices can grow up to half a meter a day and because it grows in the sea, it's not competing with agriculture.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2010, 08:21 »
The US has a lot of laws about food inspection too, but that doesn't mean any of them are followed.  Eric Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation" showcases just how agressive the agribusinesses are about getting around the regulations.  There's more bullshit going on behind the government's back at ConAgra than there is at a mafia safehouse.  It's nice to think that European producers are above all that, but I'm sure they really aren't.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2010, 23:20 »
Yeah, the current food industry is a mess,  but if you want to read about how really of a horrific mess the US food industry once was, read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair
sig.