Author Topic: Sort of back in Linux Desktop Land  (Read 1833 times)

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
Sort of back in Linux Desktop Land
« on: 10 February 2010, 00:49 »
So I'm still using OS X on my PowerMac and MacBook; my server has always ran Debian.  I have a little DJing project I'm working on though running this:

http://www.xwax.co.uk/

I don't have a lot of room, and didn't want to dedicate my MacBook to this task using commercial or free software.  I bought a netbook and installed Ubuntu on it.  So far enjoying myself. 

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Sort of back in Linux Desktop Land
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2010, 17:10 »
The latest versions of Ubuntu are much better then earlier ones IMO. Far greater compatibility with more hardware, and better ease of use. I have 9.04/9.10 (can't quite remember) installed on our Family computer, and besides the lack of windows .exe compatibility (which is a good thing IMO) no body seems to really notice much thats its actually different then Windows.
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2010, 19:39 »
I never got on with Ubuntu but it was awhile ago since I've used it.

I prefer Fedora because its package system seems to be more robust.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2010, 18:23 »
The latest versions of Ubuntu are much better then earlier ones IMO. Far greater compatibility with more hardware, and better ease of use. I have 9.04/9.10 (can't quite remember) installed on our Family computer, and besides the lack of windows .exe compatibility (which is a good thing IMO) no body seems to really notice much thats its actually different then Windows.
Most people can achieve most everyday tasks on Ubuntu with no problems and no prior use/learning.

A problem for Ubuntu is that some people, regardless of weather Ubuntu would serve all their needs perfectly with small effort, still won't consider Ubuntu because they wont use anything that isn't widespread i.e. Windows. Windows is so widespread that any alternative will be perceived as seriously crippled to a lot of computer users. Actually, this is where marketing can be very important. Subtle marketing such as Apples product placement in films.

Now, with the fact that more people have tried Ubuntu, know that it is actually credible, the numbers of people who dont want to use ubuntu (when its convenient) is shrinking (slowly).
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2010, 10:47 »
My dad's G3 iBook is on its last leg.  I was going to tell him to buy a Dell Mini like the one I have running Ubuntu but still -- I've never had to do tech support for him and he's a complete computer newb.  He can access his Citrix stuff at work, install most apps he could possibly need . . . I just don't think things would be that simple for me if he was running Windows or Ubuntu. 

Looks like he might be getting an iPad though.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2010, 12:26 »
Everyone close to me I know on a mac I've needed to show how to install applications, more than once sometimes. (People are retards)

I'm not claiming Ubuntu is perfect (I just said it suits a lot of peoples needs out of the box), and I'm sure it has plenty of things to iron over. (But I don't keep track anymore)

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2010, 16:15 »
Why the hell is Dell still shipping their Mini 10vs with Ubuntu 8.04?  At first I thought some hardware was unsupported in newer versions, then I installed 9.10 and everything was perfect.  Lame many companies claim Linux support then do it so half assed no one will bother with it again.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2010, 16:50 »
Why the hell is Dell still shipping their Mini 10vs with Ubuntu 8.04?  At first I thought some hardware was unsupported in newer versions, then I installed 9.10 and everything was perfect.  Lame many companies claim Linux support then do it so half assed no one will bother with it again.
8.06 would be the latest long term support release
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
LTS is an abbreviation for “Long Term Support”.

We produce a new Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server release every six months. That means you'll always have the latest and greatest applications that the open source world has to offer. Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server.

A new LTS version is usually released every 2 years. With the Long Term Support (LTS) version you get 3 years support on Ubuntu Desktop, and 5 years on Ubuntu Server. There is no extra fee for the LTS version, we make our very best work available to everyone on the same free terms. Upgrades to new versions of Ubuntu are and always will be free of charge.

The LTS designation applies only to specific subsets of the Ubuntu archive. The LTS may not apply to all editions and remixes of Ubuntu. For example, for 8.04 LTS, Kubuntu chose to move to KDE 4.0 and didn't issue an LTS release. In 10.04, the Netbook Edition will not be an LTS. The project will decide which editions will be LTS early in the LTS development cycle.

The two LTS releases so far are DapperDrake and HardyHeron. The next LTS release will be LucidLynx, released in April 2010.

10.04 in 2 months will be a long term support release, so I guess dell will update to that when it comes out (I'd expect it to be pretty soon since they're working with canonical (apparently, I've no idea how this dell-ubuntu thing is going atm. I was expecting to see an ubuntu choice for more dell computers, but I didnt))

You should have been able to do a system upgrade to 9.10. This was risky business in ubuntus earlier days, but I hope thats sorted now (I believe it is).

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2010, 22:58 »
Yeah, but you can't go from 8.04 to 9.10 without going to 9.xx whatever first.

I did that but just felt like -- ehh, I don't want any leftovers around let me just start from scratch.

What's super lame is if you choose Linux the price doesn't subtract the cost of a Windows license. 

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2010, 23:57 »
Long term support means that Canonical will provide Dell - and therefore its customers with long term support. Well after the initial software was released. Its the best way to go to ensure compatibility and reliability from an OEM perspective. One Ubuntu releases their next LTS edition Dell will most likely start shipping systems with it.

Like I said in another thread, I don't think any flavor of Linux will really be a viable alternative to ship PCs with from an OEM standpoint until Microsoft stops offering kickbacks and incentives for remaining "loyal".
sig.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2010, 05:44 »
That's a decent looking netbook. For that price you don't get a solid state sata drive.

It shouldn't be too long before a 128GB sata sd hd is cheap enough for them to become affordable.

Even 64GB ought to be enough for a Ubuntu box. Just store your media files on another 64gb usb ssd.

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2010, 07:49 »
The SSD upgrade was only $30.  I have a 16gb SSD in it and stream my media files over wireless.  You can swap the hard drive for a 8gb SSD for no charge though. 

Covered up all the Dell stickers  ;D  I can't find one small enough for under the display bezel though.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2010, 02:15 »
Does having a Dell bother you?  ::)

Hows that program working out?
sig.