Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Could the greatest desktop environment be a free one?

(1/5) > >>

piratePenguin:
I've been a gnome lover for a long time ('lover' is a bit deep, I've just stuck to it because it lets me do my work and it comes with ubuntu, and in years I've had no problems), but I've always had a huge appreciation for both the gnome and kde desktop environments and I think anyone who says their copresence in the GNU/Linux world is degenerative just doesn't get it.

Anyhow. KDE 4.4 was released recently - I still havent used it (it is a lot of effort to try; I pretty much consider switching DE almost equivalent to switching OS (and I would install kubuntu even if I dont need to), but it looks like it's time to do this)

http://kde.org/announcements/4.4/ They're polishing up (KDE 4 needed it the last time I was using it) while innovating away. Seems like a serious desktop to me. They also now have a netbook edition which seems particularly impressive. (since I use an eee pc I will probably use this)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kde+netbook&page=&utm_source=opensearch

OS X has been the DE to beat* and maybe KDE has upped the ante? Startin to look like it.

* hugely subjective; but in any case OS X has an advanced (from a technical point of view but Im not sure about this from a power user pointof view) and polished interface, gnome has a simple interface that does its job good, and kde has a powerful and sexy interface that is coming together

worker201:
KDE has looked better than gnome for a long time now.  For now, I just can't imagine anything being as awesome as OSX.  I guess I'd have to use it for a week or so to know for sure.  And that isn't likely to be happening anytime soon.

Aloone_Jonez:
KDE also hogs more resources which is bad for people with older computers.

I'm an XFCE fan myself.

Lead Head:
Last time I used KDE it was indeed very bloated and quite a hog. I hope the 4.x versions are bucking that trend a bit.

adiment:
I know ram is cheap is these days but as far as KDE 4's resource usage goes, its on par with vista. 560mb idle? I only have 1gb of ram.  :(

I do like KDE4 looks though and it runs very smooth.

Right now I'm using a very modded gnome, but looking into Openbox or XFCE. Looks are still important to me though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version