Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Could the greatest desktop environment be a free one?

<< < (5/5)

Kintaro:

--- Quote from: Calum on 16 March 2010, 16:39 ---hi worker and PP, sorry i forgot to mention, i'm pretty sure i have put in 768MB of RAM in total to the PC (should have mentioned that) but can't check right now as i'm not at home.

--- End quote ---

How is it in the 19th century?

--- Quote from: piratePenguin on  9 March 2010, 10:28 ---I'd say the ever-changing definition of a low-end computer is towards computers with 'slow', but efficient cpus (Atom 1.6Ghz on eee pcs) and a gig or more of ram?

--- End quote ---

Maybe when your computers all run off of peat bogs. Over here in the coal capital of the world, it's typically 3.6ghz+ computers and they come quite cheap since it takes them less time to travel to China. The difference with aussies getting shit from China is we had our own money and a good mining industry for a while. We don't depend entirely on Chinese investors buying bonds to maintain our currency or Government spending (until the lefttards came along). Yeah, I am off topic, but you people all live in a Ghetto.

I'd welcome you all to come and live, but you'd be more likely to get in painting yourself in blackface, going to Sudan, and pretending you are a refugee than the legal methods at the moment. And unfortunately, a gun is held at my childrens heads to be robbed for taxation if I don't vote for the xenophobic mystic fucking Christian conservatives this year.

I am offtopic again.

Aloone_Jonez:
I don't like having to keep upgrading either. However, as long as it's possible to run the latest Linux on a five year old PC, I don't see the big deal as you can get old hardware for next to nothing or often free if you go to your local dump.

I got most of my current PC for almost nothing from my brother. It has a 2GHz single core 64-bit Atheon processor, a PC3200 board, 1GB of RAM, a dual layer DVD writer and a CD writer. The only part I paid for was the hard drive, a 10,000rpm 150GB Raptor which I got purely for speed and it still isn't even half full. I run Windows XP and Fedora (dual boot). Windows boots very quickly and most the programs load instantly, even OpenOffice which takes about a second to load Writer with the quickstarter running.

Kintaro:
I have three TBs of hard drive space. Two 500gb disks in RAID 0 and two 1TB disks in a spanned Windows Dynamic Disk (basically a shitty RAID 0), like any software RAID.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version