Redmond, WA > I Love Microsoft

I realized something, the only OS that I love is XP

<< < (5/5)

piratePenguin:

--- Quote from: yourlife on 22 May 2010, 11:32 ---It also means that it is easier to develop viruses for Windows.
Mac and Linux = almost impossible to get a virus (but it is possible.)

--- End quote ---
The only way you should compare security is by comparing the attitudes of the companies towards security.

Windows = Totally fucked it up for years by giving users automatic root accounts, has improved since this time, putting serious investment into developing new relevant technologies.
OS X = Inherited a secure system and takes security seriously but perhaps takes their own security more seriously.
GNU/Linux = Security enthusiasts taking control of the system forever, bugs are dealt with completely transparently, changes are pushed through to users as a first priority.

Those are my biased views. Discuss.

Refalm:

--- Quote from: piratePenguin on 22 May 2010, 12:06 ---Windows = Totally fucked it up for years by giving users automatic root accounts, has improved since this time, putting serious investment into developing new relevant technologies.

--- End quote ---
I agree, Steve Ballmer took action after, at a family party, someone showed him his spyware ridden laptop.
Only after that, Microsoft took serious action, like default non-administrator accounts in Windows 7, Windows Defender, annoying pop-ups when you don't have a virus scanner, upgrading Internet Explorer out of the 90's, etc.
All too late. The world now has to deal with botnets.

yourlife:
Ah yes, botnets, what fun (literally, they are fun xD, oh uh, but I don't have any, obviously :) Seriously, I don't, I could name people that do though)

Kintaro:

--- Quote ---OS X = Inherited a secure system and takes security seriously but perhaps takes their own security more seriously.
--- End quote ---

OSX was the last operating system to introduce stack protection to prevent buffer overflows. They don't care about security at all!

I think another aspect is the the type of folks writing Viruses are 10x more likely to be using a PC and not a Mac. This makes it even more likely they will target Windows. The same folks would need a Mac to test their code.

--- Quote ---GNU/Linux = Security enthusiasts taking control of the system forever, bugs are dealt with completely transparently, changes are pushed through to users as a first priority.
--- End quote ---

What about BSD. I am a major BSD zealot and nothing comes close to OpenBSD on security. Apache is chrooted by default, and the default install hasn't had a root exploit in an extremely long time in comparison the three operating systems you mentioned. OpenBSD's gcc will whine all though a build if strcat() is used and on strlcat() along with numerous other functions that commonly lead to exploits. On top of it all OpenBSD are the masters of code auditing to weed out bugs. At OpenBSD they also have a habit of changing things in libc that make the system harder to hack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version