Author Topic: google bails out the web  (Read 1262 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
google bails out the web
« on: 20 May 2010, 17:19 »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7745483/Google-unveils-WebM-royalty-free-video-codec.html

It happened. I haven't had much time to read about it, but it's GREAT news.

Now a concern of mine I wanna mention is, this problem was solved (well, there is now an actual chance for an unentangled web in the future and a mightily good one that is, but nothing quite solved yet) because Google fucked $120m at it. What if they didn't? Will future efforts to entangle the web be successful? I wasn't around for the gif  ordeal, but I know there's more at stake now than there ever was, and there will be more at stake in the future. If people couldn't care less about supporting the principles of the web, how long will the open web exist? (I'll mention using specifically and exclusively Firefox or Opera as the best way to support these principles, Chrome maybe should be in this list too and Safari certainly not (It appears as though I'm on an anti-Apple crusade nowadays, but everyone should know, by now, that Apple are not doing business to set anybody free)) Is the open web a luxury our generation has enjoyed, and future generations won't even know about it?

But anyways, let the battle commence.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 17:22 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: google bails out the web
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2010, 17:44 »
The VP8 codec has been blended with the open source Ogg Vorbis audio format to create a new codec, WebM, which is available for royalty-free use.
is this compliant with the GPL?

And in fact i'm having trouble understanding if this use of the Ogg Vorbis audio codec is GPL or BSD-style licenced...
http://www.vorbis.com/faq/#slic

Anybody know what the answer are here?
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 17:47 by Calum »
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2010, 22:32 »
Sometimes Google seems a little too similar to Skynet.  They roll out all these ad-serving technologies without ads on them, and it seems great at the time.  But I suspect that one day, Plan G is going to spring into action, and in the aftermath we're going to beg Microsoft to save us.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2010, 22:54 »
Sometimes Google seems a little too similar to Skynet.  They roll out all these ad-serving technologies without ads on them, and it seems great at the time.  But I suspect that one day, Plan G is going to spring into action, and in the aftermath we're going to beg Microsoft to save us.
Are you referring to youtube? I know youtube has gone seriously ridiculous on the ad front, but I don't take any issue with ads on their other products.Youtube wasn't making nearly enough money to make its purchase worthwhile as I understand, it was Google's task to monetize it more profitably.

I certainly don't take issue with publishing a royalty free codec to compete with h264. Or more specifically the group who wants to profit from a stranglehold on web video  - Googles domain. Of course they're doing this for their own business interest (and their perhaps more limited interest in keeping the web open).

Of course, as to whatever else they have the power to unveil, it may seem scary. Well, facebooks control is much more worrisome, and if you haven't heard much about that then it's pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 23:06 by piratePenguin »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2010, 23:22 »
Facebook's issues are obvious and open, I think.  You see what giving your name will do, and then you decide if it's worth it.  Like meeting an attractive person at the mall or whatever.  Google is more like a creepy uncle.  "Hey, here's a free codec!  Hey, here's a mapping interface that does bicycle routes and contains millions of dollars worth of satellite imagery!  Hey, here's a free browser!  Hey, here's a free mobile phone!  What, no , they're all free!  Here's a place to store your documents!  Here's free email!"  After awhile, you start wondering what his angle is.  Getting that much stuff for free without understanding the workings behind why it's free makes me uncomfortable.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2010, 00:38 »
Facebook's issues are obvious and open, I think.  You see what giving your name will do, and then you decide if it's worth it.  Like meeting an attractive person at the mall or whatever.  Google is more like a creepy uncle.  "Hey, here's a free codec!  Hey, here's a mapping interface that does bicycle routes and contains millions of dollars worth of satellite imagery!  Hey, here's a free browser!  Hey, here's a free mobile phone!  What, no , they're all free!  Here's a place to store your documents!  Here's free email!"  After awhile, you start wondering what his angle is.  Getting that much stuff for free without understanding the workings behind why it's free makes me uncomfortable.
Google make their money in ads. You're going to use maps on your phone to find cafes, etc. Therefore google can extract by giving you the maps with the businesses on it (I know they only charge for sponsored ads), and the phone so you have it in your pocket. edit: I may be wrong because I don't know if they do sponsored ads. If they still don't make an income from maps, then I completely see your point.

I'm afraid I don't think you're completely right about facebook. Facebooks obvious issues are open and obvious. Off the top of my head, facebook gathers information about people who aren't even members: ever wonder how it's Friend Suggestions work? If you enter your email login it will keep a record of all your contacts, then if one of your friends register their email will be linked to you, so too will be tags other people tagged them in. Afaik there's no way to opt out (but isn't this illegal?).
Also, Google for "zuckered".
Also, Facebooks aim is becoming more like googles: they already have a map of probably a majority of the developed worlds social connections in big demographics, they have the new "Like" buttons that they want to spread out to the entire web, I noticed recently they want to create a profile page for my class, my hometown (which is a very small village). So, if their aim is just like Googles then why am I more worried about them? That's not just because of their behavior, but their attitude. I simply can't write much about it, I'm not even reading about it anymore. But there is much about the topic you can find on google (or bing!) if you're interested. In fact I'll send you what I've read if you're interested, ironically the easiest way to do this is if you use google reader or buzz. (btw, the facebook google war, now that will be one to watch out for)
« Last Edit: 21 May 2010, 00:44 by piratePenguin »

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2010, 22:10 »
I've read all that stuff, I know what they're doing.  And although a lot of it is kinda lame, it totally seems transparent.

I don't know why Google gives me the impression that it is interested in more than ads. 

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2010, 22:30 »
I think google do and will thread a lot more lightly than facebook. Google are proven being careful to stay on people's good side. Facebook are proven pushing the bounds, and it's only going to get much much worse.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2010, 05:50 »
This project cost Google probably less than 1% of their projected revenue for the next quarter alone. Why the fuck not do it? It gets rid of the bitching over HTML5 so work can get done.

Google are my Gods.