Author Topic: Corporate IT Preserve Jobs by Guarding Microsoft Technology  (Read 1793 times)

damondouglas

• Kudos: 0
Here is how Microsoft preserves its market share in Corporate settings.  The I.T. personnel are Microsoft certified, so by guarding the technology, they preserve their jobs.  The users or management of I.T. who are not as technologically savvy rely on these individuals to support their business needs.  It thus becomes this parasitic relationship.  In economics, we call this "moral hazard" or the principal agent problem.  The principal is the share-holder or management for whom the "agent" I.T. operates on their behalf.  Moral Hazard occurs when the incentives of the two parties do not align.  Those agents in I.T. only support the technologies that maintain their job status (or do so in their imagination).  These are not necessarily the most supportive and productive technologies to support the business needs for the principal or shareholder/manager. 

How do we disinfect the corporation from this parasitic relationship?  How do we become free from our hostage to a sub-par technology?  How do we destroy those individuals who guard an obsolete technology?
« Last Edit: 5 July 2010, 19:05 by damondouglas »

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Welcome to the forum :)

I don't think MSCE matters as much as you think.

It's more in the adoption of other operating systems in business solutions. The focus in the Linux and UNIX world are basically servers that are specialized for robotics, NAT, etc. as opposed to Microsoft that developed tools that support desktop deployment in business.

As you can see on the front page of this website, actual business solutions other than Microsoft and scarce and not that sophisticated.

The subject is almost laughable in the Linux world, and that status is destroying Linux adoption in the real world.
« Last Edit: 5 July 2010, 22:18 by Refalm »

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
The company I work for is a billion dollar a year business, mostly custom printing. We are going to a Microsoft Net Frame only as a last resort after trying to work with a private vendor on database management. We need real-time inventory for fast-paced pick and pack operations as well as sales/expense projections and tracking, payroll and employee training/performance tracking. We have FedEx and UPS servers in the building for shipping and the current system sux horribly. It takes 6 seconds to scan out a package and print the label.
We do over a thousand packages a day when it's busy and it takes just too damn long for no good reason. Doing inventory management uses a green screen type interface that requires knowing all sorts of arcane F key codes to do simple things.

I hate MS as much as any of you, but their MS Office based solutions are easy enough to use if you can learn Word and Excel and the IT staff at each division can customize the software to meet local needs, while still giving the home office instant access and control. The people at the top of the food chain here are real big on knowing everything in real time and being able to control money at the local level.

If the was something else out there that worked well, we would have tried it. We only gave up our IBM 370 in 1999 because it was physically unable to deal with a three digit year. Not even an Amdahl, just a stupid 360/370 with a single 11" disc stack that was fvcking obsolete when I was in college over 30 years ago. We still have an AS400, but that will go away when we go to all MS based business solutions.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Windows 2008 R2 is more Unix compatible than ever before. It supports NFS and its in the same place as Samba shares which is nice and open. They don't lock people in, that is just Linux blather. If Linux didn't fucking suck none of this would matter because nobody would care.

I mention only one case of interoperability but there is much (those services exist on Win7 as well for example).

Go back to the 90s, you're all chasing a ghost. Microsoft have changed and are probably glad they are not the only OS in the world worth using anymore. In the old days every time a computer failed it was Microsofts fault because you were all so fucking lazy that instead of writing one better you all just stood around bitching and begging Bill Gates like he is John Frum for better cargo.

If you want to know why Linux is never adopted on the desktop you just have to look at history of the City of Munich's attempt at using it. Duke Nukem Forever had a similar timeline, and credit rating.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
The tune on this website has changed appropriately too Kintaro, fuckwit. Did you see the post before yours? Idiot, now please fuck off from here for good.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
Re: Corporate IT Preserve Jobs by Guarding Microsoft Technology
« Reply #5 on: 2 August 2010, 20:39 »
How do we destroy those individuals who guard an obsolete technology?

Thank-you for making your intentions clear, destroying individuals. You should read the book the fatality of conceit. Microsoft is incredibly complicated and it adds a lot of human error. Linux has the same problem, only with Linux, its far better for mission critical systems because you pick which subset of bugs and patches you want. I love Linux for that reason - but Microsoft will always be shitty in its way because of the sheer amount of software written for it to conflict.

For example, I use ClamWin and Avast! Free because I trust neither. With both as Outlook plugins, a race condition occurs and Outlook just gets stuck. The solution is simple, disabling ClamWin's email checker. SMTP is intercepted by my FreeBSD sendmail anyway much like a transparent proxy anyway.

The tune on this website has changed appropriately too Kintaro, fuckwit. Did you see the post before yours? Idiot, now please fuck off from here for good.

I agree my last post was retarded, I didn't read the thread at all or not properly or something. I have this thing called a personal life and feelings. BTW, deep breaths just like your therapist told you make you sound less insane. I am admittedly not always very logical. In fact I will prove it by responding properly to my own post to show you, my boy, a lesson...

Windows 2008 R2 is more Unix compatible than ever before. It supports NFS and its in the same place as Samba shares which is nice and open. They don't lock people in, that is just Linux blather. If Linux didn't fucking suck none of this would matter because nobody would care.

I mention only one case of interoperability but there is much (those services exist on Win7 as well for example).

Go back to the 90s, you're all chasing a ghost. Microsoft have changed and are probably glad they are not the only OS in the world worth using anymore. In the old days every time a computer failed it was Microsofts fault because you were all so fucking lazy that instead of writing one better you all just stood around bitching and begging Bill Gates like he is John Frum for better cargo.

If you want to know why Linux is never adopted on the desktop you just have to look at history of the City of Munich's attempt at using it. Duke Nukem Forever had a similar timeline, and credit rating.

Quote from: kintaroAsDavidnix
I don't think you understood my post at all good sir. In fact there is no ghost my lad but ghastly old machines and systems all over the joint. Adoption of new technologies is slow and I believe that is a problem you have ignored, tool. Also, calm the fuck down.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #6 on: 3 August 2010, 13:17 »
I agree my last post was retarded, I didn't read the thread at all or not properly or something. I have this thing called a personal life and feelings. BTW, deep breaths just like your therapist told you make you sound less insane. I am admittedly not always very logical. In fact I will prove it by responding properly to my own post to show you, my boy, a lesson...
That's probably your best post yet.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #7 on: 3 August 2010, 13:37 »
Nah Kintaro, "You speak so much shit" is what was going on in my head when I wrote that response, and also the fact that you were supposed to have fucked off. I couldn't have made my message any clearer.

So you've recalled your shrinks advice - that's good, and it's showing in your posts lately.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.