Author Topic: Stop the recession: Reduce piracy by 10%  (Read 1444 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Stop the recession: Reduce piracy by 10%
« on: 17 September 2010, 19:00 »
http://www.bsa.org/country/News%20and%20Events/News%20Archives/global/09152010-piracyimpact.aspx

Wow, if we cut software piracy by 10% there'd be 500,000 new jobs and other good things. Sounds deadly, but accidentally they forgot, among other things, that money not spent on software, is spent on other things! Who are they hiring to do these studies? Is it chimpanzees, or are they telling economics graduates to forget what they know and contrive a report so they can back-hand governments with promises of tax revenue, when in fact, their suggestions would more than likely damage the worldwide economy, and reduce local jobs (IT jobs are on average more expensive than grocery workers, surprise) . . . That's the study I'm interested in.

Here's a much better article: http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2010/09/bsas-piracy-numbers-less-than-they-seem/index.htm

edit: actually the recession is over but well, you get my point

Why is it their legacy to make shit up and deceive? In my mind this begs the question, does anybody actually know that 'piracy' is wrong or even damaging? Why can't they legitimately show that it is damaging? They're spending enough money to make up lies about it.

My conclusion is that software piracy is good for the economy, because if it went away associations such as BSA would have no more shit to make up, and they would actually die of starvation because they don't realise that people who lose their job, can actually find another one. Their closed-mindedness is really affecting me, but at least they're getting paid for it I guess.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2010, 22:42 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Stop the recession: Reduce piracy by 10%
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2010, 19:53 »
I agree with the second article .

This is why other governments (China, India and Latin America) are tougher on people who pirate software made by local companies than US companies. I think our government should adopt the same attitude.

There's no way anyone can prove how much money is gained or lost due to piracy, even if they could prove how prevalent piracy is.

It's all a load of bollocks.

This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2010, 22:02 »
  Wow, if we cut software piracy by 10% there'd be 500,000 new jobs and   other good things. Sounds deadly, but accidentally they forgot, among   other things, that money not spent on software, is   spent on other things! Who are they hiring to do these studies? Is it   chimpanzees, or are they telling economics graduates to forget what they   know and contrive a report so they can back-hand governments with   promises of tax revenue, when in fact, their suggestions would more than   likely damage the worldwide economy, and reduce local jobs (IT jobs are   on average more expensive than grocery workers, surprise) . . . That's   the study I'm interested in.

10% software piracy decrease = 500K new jobs/US$142B injected into economy??? That's too little in my opinion!

Wow, that's not a lot of jobs to make. Literally millions of Americans  have gone bankrupt or lost a job and IT is growing.

BSA's suggestions would damage the economy if it was implemented before,   because people were losing jobs and $142B will go to be part of   thousands of shopping times, where all that money will deplete quickly   because "there was a lot of money." (This is my theory. I don't care if I'm proven wrong because I needed something to think of.)

Why is it their legacy to make shit up and deceive? In my mind this begs the question, does anybody actually know that 'piracy' is wrong or even damaging? Why can't they legitimately show that it is damaging? They're spending enough money to make up lies about it.

I wonder why, but my guess is that they want to inform people that piracy is a malevolent practice when it is actually meant to be teasing software companies and is practiced by computer technicians. But we should thank Microsoft users running pirated software, because Microsoft is looking for money and halving their revenue is part of visitors' guesses of our master plan (we don't have one yet, though).

My conclusion is that software piracy is good for the economy, because   if it went away associations such as BSA would have no more shit to make   up, and they would actually die of starvation because they don't   realise that people who lose their job, can actually find another one.   Their closed-mindedness is really affecting me, but at least they're   getting paid for it.

People who lose jobs could find another one? That's a big issue. In the recession, when a job was lost, you likely couldn't find another one because of companies losing positions and restoring them, leaving out the others in the blue, which leads to bankruptcy. Fortunately, I'm with you on the part that the BSA is a wacky organization full of skeptical people.

Now that the recession's gone, people can safely look for new jobs. What a wacky world of wonders.

Now that the recession's gone, it's also time to add some flavour to excellent software products with GPLv3, a better way to allow your customers to pirate software without getting arrested by local authorities.

EDIT: We need to tell Microsoft that software IS math. (In other words, software should NOT be patented like math.)

Piracy is a good thing. It brings opportunities for:
  • The people. They don't have to pay a lot on stupid software.
  • Pirates. They're doing us a favour by cutting Microsoft's revenue.
  • Companies. They can purchase a copy of software and install it on every PC with that one copy.
  • The poor. Everyone in a developing country can have a cheap computer and get a cheap, pirated copy.
Microsoft can't even understand the advantages of piracy, so they make up WGA to tell average consumers that a non-pirated copy of Windows opens up a world of exclusive download-from-the-web applications that don't do much.

Software companies earn more money from non-pirated software. We can tell them that money is not important by cutting their revenue with piracy.

My mother brings pirated movies from her local video store for like $2 each. She claims that buying original films on DVD drain the budget, and she is correct.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 00:12 by reactosguy »

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2010, 22:53 »
People who lose jobs could find another one? That's a big issue. In the recession, when a job was lost, you likely couldn't find another one because of companies losing positions and restoring them, leaving out the others in the blue, which leads to bankruptcy. Fortunately, I'm with you on the part that the BSA is a wacky organization full of skeptical people.
I wasn't being serious, I was just getting at their closed-mindedness, implying that if they don't understand that a dollar not spent on software goes into other sectors, I wouldn't expect them to understand to get an alternative job if the BSA got winded down. If these people live their life with such stupidity, they shouldn't make it past living with their parents. The only defense for them in my mind is that they're actually getting paid for these stunts. There are others who don't.

But of course I know that this is a stunt, and they actually know more about reality that they hide from public view. What good would the BSA be if they had to work with honest-to-god, informed economics?
« Last Edit: 17 September 2010, 22:56 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2010, 23:21 »
What insults me is that there ARE assholes who make millions off of commissioning bullshit reports and handing them to Senators. They contribute nothing, they just sit on comissions that run industry lobby groups and they rake it in.

I'm the person (the buyer) who is their customer and I can't find a job. I have an idea.

Why don't we just shovel these fatasses into the ocean, then I can do their job at their pay. I can make up bullshit too. Watch.

Cloning Raquel Welch will create 50 hojillion jobs and improve technology so much that we have X Wings and Jedi knights.
Making ice cream illegal will solve all health problems and make everybody psychic.
Uptight rich white people bitch more when they have no right.

Oh wait, that last one's true.

Fuck 'em in the ass. Fuck 'em in the face.
Fuck 'em in the evenin' and fuck 'em in the day.
Fuck 'em, take their cash, and don't leave a goddamn trace.

That's the 'tude I have toward the scum at this point. "Waaaaaaaaaah, our billion dollars isn't enouuuuggggh!"

Shut up, Fucko. I didn't make a single goddamn penny through all of 2009. Why don't I just bend all your golf clubs over your ugly fat head and then drive off with your car?
« Last Edit: 17 September 2010, 23:25 by hm_murdock »
Go the fuck ~