Author Topic: lenovo laptops?  (Read 1436 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
lenovo laptops?
« on: 13 November 2010, 20:44 »
What's peoples opinions on these? What do you normally recommend for a laptop?

I'm thinking about spending 600-800 quid on something that is well-above netbook performance. Lenovo has a pretty sweet sale on at the moment, and these are catching my attention:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/ieweb/LenovoPortal/en_IE/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/EMEA/Landing_pages/Promos/Ideapad-laptops-for-home-and-home-office

Important things for me are noise (I'm using a HP laptop atm and I hate the sound of fans going mental) and lightness and portability. Definetly could see me going down the netbook road again and instead building a brute of a machine for about 600 quid in 6 months.

Whats your opinion on lenovo laptops? Are there other laptops you could recommend to my situation?

Thanks
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: lenovo laptops?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2010, 23:21 »
My dad has one of the first ThinkPads made by Lenovo.  Pretty good machine, solid as a rock, not very noisy.

I've no experience with Lenovo's other product lines.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2010, 18:49 »
I'll probably get beaten to death for saying this and it's not exactly a netbook, but I have an Acer Aspire 5553g that I got for £538 and it's damn good. Pretty much silent, not exactly light but light enough that I'm able to take it to college with me every day.

Specs are as follows:
15.6" display, 1366x768
AMD Phenom II X4 Mobile
ATi Mobility Radeon 5470 - 512MB VRAM (also has an integrated ATi Mobility Radeon 4250)
4GB RAM
320GB HDD

Might not be what you're looking for, but it's a pretty good laptop in my opinion (although those Lenovo laptops look damn nice, but in my case I was on a strict budget - £540 in my case).

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2010, 00:19 »
I bought somebody this lenovo based just on looks (was dirt cheap too):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146578

The build quality was a lot better than I expected and that weak CPU was able to pull all non-HD video and Win7 and Ubuntu Netbook.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2010, 06:07 »
I've heard good things about them. It seems Lenovo stayed fairly true to keeping the ThinkPad (idea pad now?) line to the high quality standards IBM set.

I know a couple of people with Acers, and they seem pretty pleased with them.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2010, 06:09 by Lead Head »
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2010, 17:23 »
Hmm.. Those laptops were actually cheaper in America on the day of release than they are in Europe even with that (pretty serious) sale. That's a bummer.

So anyways I'm gonna hold out for a second-hand eee pc or such, if I manage to get the exact same one as the one that I lost (!) I'll be a happy camper. Won't be virtualizing Windows within Ubuntu to run Office (which I'll need when I start work in Feb), but such a machine will get me through my exams and won't lose damn all value in the mean time (besides I could still have a use for such an ultraportable). Maybe building a serious desktop machine for cheap and using vnc will do the trick after Feb, that'd hit the spot :)

Anyways it's good to hear that lenovo build quality is as good as it was, that's such an important thing that I haven't come to expect from most laptops.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.