Author Topic: A question of design  (Read 687 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
A question of design
« on: 4 March 2002, 03:54 »
Have you ever noticed how winblows
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
A question of design
« Reply #1 on: 4 March 2002, 04:25 »
Ya I spoke of this a bit in the Mac OS forum. I talked about how Apple even published a book calld the User Interface Guidelines. It had all of their research outlined and explained, so that developers could use it in order to keep application functionality consistent (a document that M$ would probably use when making Windoze, and if they did, it was a taterd copy they found in a gutter cuz they managed to basterdize everything).

I think M$ reversed windows from the Mac OS as an attempt at origionality. I mean it goes further than just aligning the icons to the left. Here is a small list:

1. Icons on left (duh)
2. Mac mouse is black with white outline, M$ mouse is white with black outline.
3. Mac apple menue items and clock is on the menu bar at the top. Windoze's start bar and clock are at the bottom.
4. Mac has a single menu bar that affects every window, windoze has multiple menu bars that affect their respective windows.
5. The Mac is responsive and does what you ask it to in an intuitive logical maner. Windoze laughes at you takes all your personal information, acuses you of being a pirat, forces you to update to a new version, and then if your good, lets you play solitair and use MS Paint.

etc...

But hey, at least we can see what their alignement is, M$ is to the evil left of God, while Apple is to the right  

Personaly, I think the fact that Mac OSX is trying to revolutionize the way people think of a GUI says alot. Windowoze's response was that hacked up POS XP, which is nothing more than an unorigional rehash of their previous crap.

M$ constantly spouts the words inovation, but to quote the Princess Bride:

"...You keep on using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means..."

M$ are just a bunch of copy cat's with great marketing. Were would they be without the REAL inovators?
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

lost

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.23.org/
A question of design
« Reply #2 on: 8 March 2002, 05:39 »
right fucking on.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

[email protected]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
A question of design
« Reply #3 on: 8 March 2002, 14:35 »
quote:
4. Mac has a single menu bar that affects every window, windoze has multiple menu bars that affect their respective windows.

This is the ONE feature that i like in windows. I slightly prefer the windows to have their own menu bars. i was happy when quicktime 5 for windows finally did this. Up till 4, it had no menu bar on the window, but had a manu bar floating by itself elsewhere on the screen! becaue it was trying to be a top-of screen bar, but couldn't in windows, i suppose...
Of course you can have any and all in KDE and GNOME...

quote:

5. The Mac is responsive and does what you ask it to in an intuitive logical maner. Windoze laughes at you takes all your personal information, acuses you of being a pirat, forces you to update to a new version, and then if your good, lets you play solitair and use MS Paint.

This is another very good point...   ;)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Spuzzdawg

• Kudos: 0
A question of design
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2002, 10:12 »
i disagree with everyone. You say that windows interface is just the same as OS but in reverse? What does Linux look like??? Similar to windows yet you all go on about how linux is superior to windows (no arguments there). But is it not possible that windows said "ok where is a convinient place to put my icons? On the left next to the start menu????"

I personaly prefer windows interface to the crappy and hard to follow OS 'front page'. And what is with the one button and oddly shaped mouse that comes with Mac's. the piece of shit doesnt even fit in ya hand.

My point is that Microsoft make somethin and you guys instantly slag them off and say they copied it off someone else - most people will tell you that they hate mac's more than windoze - one person told me to use mac instead of windoze cos they are only 50 rare viruses or somethin on a mac. I say, "see, even hackers don't like using macs" Finishing off my point, microsoft, may not be the perfect company but they are allowed to put their icons whereva the fuck they want on the desktop.

Spuzzdawg

psyjax

• VIP
A question of design
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2002, 10:33 »
Jesus.. your post is so full of shit and at a loss for any sort of proof to back up your point that I feel ashamed to even comment. You do know that when Bill Gates endevored to create windows his exact quote was "make it like a Mac on a PC" I think this alone makes it quite evident who bit off who.

Also don't forget that the MacOS is much older than Windoze as is XWindows and other GUI's for Linux/*NIX OS's, the fact is Linux dosn't look like anything.  In it's base form it's little more than a command line.

Most people don't hate Mac's. In My experience people realy like them (weather they prefer them or not is a diffrent story), none the less, the real Mac haters usually seem to be windoids, Borg, and other computer Biggotts who can't see beyond their limeted point of view.

There would be no Windows without Mac, Live with it. Mac OS is better designed (has won tons of awards, has all the reasearch behind it, etc. etc.) Live with that too.

I find PC mice to be to light and feel like an empty pice of cardbord, Mac programs don't require a two button mouse, but you can get one if you want. I have both kinds of mice. Right now, Im useing a regular one-button mouse, and to tell you the truth I don't really miss the other button.

Finaly, It's not only the GUI, but what's underneath it. Windows is a hack gone awry since it's insception back at Win32. It run's like a hack, looks like a hack, and feels like a hack.

Linux/*NIX, and MacOS (particualraly OSX) has years of reasearch and development behind them that windows wishes it had. GUI aside, all these other OS's floor it in every sence. Windows loses overal in usability, that's a fact. Live with it.

Also, If you look at M$'s buisness history you will note that they do nothing but copy other's products or buy them out. Little has been of their own creation, like it or not, they are not the victimes here. Live with that.

People like those who are in this forum don't just spontaneously generate. Perhapse you should take a look at what we are reacting to before you choose your side.

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: psyjax ]

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
A question of design
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2002, 21:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Spuzzdawg:
i disagree with everyone. You say that windows interface is just the same as OS but in reverse? What does Linux look like??? Similar to windows yet you all go on about how linux is superior to windows (no arguments there). But is it not possible that windows said "ok where is a convinient place to put my icons? On the left next to the start menu????"

I personaly prefer windows interface to the crappy and hard to follow OS 'front page'. And what is with the one button and oddly shaped mouse that comes with Mac's. the piece of shit doesnt even fit in ya hand.

Ok spazmutt, just like most lusers you can't get beyond the superficial. It's true that you can make Linux look and act similar to Windows (which tries to look and act like a Mac).  The reason this exists is so that lusers like you who have no experience with anything but Windows can use it and feel fairly comfortable.

I'm not currently using an interface that looks like Windows or a Mac.  It has no task bar, no "Start" menu, etc.  To get a menu you have to click one of your mouse buttons on the desktop background, and you get a different menu for each of the three mouse buttons. When you open a program an ICON version of it docs to the upper right hand corner of the desktop. This interface is called "WindowMaker".  It uses very little memory and is fast. I use other interfaces on other machines. I have a choice. Choices like having as many virtual desktops as I want and be able to open apps for display on any one of the desktops and switch between desktops easily.  Just because one of the interfaces is designed to make Windows lusers lives easier doesn't mean the OS is a copy of Windows. Windows is much more difficult to use for a lot of tasks because it forces you to use a graphical app to do the task. You don't have a choice.

But we've been over all of this before. Like most dweebs that come here defending M$, 99% of your experience is with Winblows and 1% (if that) is with any other OS. Kinda hard to make a good argument when this is the case.

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

psyjax

• VIP
A question of design
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2002, 21:48 »
Ya Void, this Tard gave himself away in the Hello Im New Here Thread. He comes in here slaming Linux and Mac and he asks: "what is suse????"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA!

Man I shouldent have taken him down in my reply cuz it looks like he actually knows what he is talking about, he is so well versed in OS's and computers  :D