Author Topic: I didn't know you could use a VB GUI to track an IP address.  (Read 2754 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
GUI interface using visual basic to track the killers IP address CSI

Seriously what morons write this shit?

Yea right I wrote a batch file using notepad to hack into a governments computer to steal secrets which I sold to the Taliban for £10000000.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2011, 23:56 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: I didn't know you could use a VB GUI to track an IP address.
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2011, 22:58 »
The line in CSI actually goes to show how some IT people in companies can get away with anything, if their bosses don't know shit about computers.

In most series or films, lines are usually like this:
"All right, I'm going to uplink the LDAP server to the GPU mainframe, so we can get those automated database reports."
"God's speed young man."

To the average Pete, that likes series like CSI where complex know-how is converted into utter simplicity, those kind of lines sound pretty impressive.

The only film where there was something realistic in terms of IT, was in The Matrix, where an old ssh flaw was used by Carrie-Anne Moss' character to bring down the electricity grid.
Well, outside of films like Antitrust and Pirates of Silicon Valley, which were about computers.

Here's the scene:
matrix nmap
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 22:07 by Refalm »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2011, 00:00 »
Yes, total bollocks. I should've gone into IT not engineering!

I would love it if MS could sue them for saying that but they can't. :(

Oh by the way my edted to your post was to fix my retarded spelling/grammar in the subject.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2011, 07:42 »
You know what they say, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit." Average TV viewer has no idea what they said, so it must mean they're smart, right?

Another movie where this is bad is the latest Die Hard. Push a button, divert an entire city's natural gas flow to one location. Yup, that is definitely how it works.
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2011, 21:01 »
I had to listen to it five times before I understood it. The combination of the heavy American accent and speed made it unintelligible to me, goodness knows how someone who's first language isn't English could understand it.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2011, 21:55 »
Finished.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2011, 05:29 »
Brilliant!

I had to listen to it five times before I understood it. The combination of the heavy American accent and speed made it unintelligible to me, goodness knows how someone who's first language isn't English could understand it.
Odly enough, I feel the exact same way (except English accent, instead of American), when I am watching TopGearUK. ;)
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2011, 15:27 »
I can understand both just fine.
There's a good mix of British and American programmes here, subtitled in Dutch.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2011, 22:37 »
Odly enough, I feel the exact same way (except English accent, instead of American), when I am watching TopGearUK. ;)
I don't see why anyone would find the TopGear presenters difficult to understand as they speak very slowly, especially Jeremy Clarkson.  If you were talking about only fools and horses or Billy Connelly, of course I'd understand.

Come on admit it, you just said that because you took offence to my remark.

I don't normally have any problems with understanding US or Austrailin accents, it's just when they speak too quickly.

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2011, 23:05 »
The only film where there was something realistic in terms of IT, was in The Matrix, where an old ssh flaw was used by Carrie-Anne Moss' character to bring down the electricity grid.

Now which oddball uses Secure Shell* to maintain a power grid? You know that nothing is ever immune to the threat of people breaking through your computers' bricks, and SSH* is no exception.

*Is this a mistake? Did you mean a flaw in C or something like that?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2011, 02:58 »
By the time I'm finished my placement it seems like I'll be a pro in Excel and Access and especially VB, and then I can build a VB GUI to hunt down killers IP addresses.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
I don't see why anyone would find the TopGear presenters difficult to understand as they speak very slowly, especially Jeremy Clarkson.  If you were talking about only fools and horses or Billy Connelly, of course I'd understand.

Come on admit it, you just said that because you took offence to my remark.

I don't normally have any problems with understanding US or Austrailin accents, it's just when they speak too quickly.
There are times where I have to rewind parts of TopGear 2 or 3 times to get what one of them said. I don't have that problem watching American shows.
sig.