Author Topic: an open discussion  (Read 745 times)

shame

• Kudos: 0
an open discussion
« on: 24 December 2001, 07:55 »
This whole "WE HATE MICROSOFT" thing has gotten a little bit out of hand. I'll admit that Microsoft is exceedingly shady in it's business practices however, Microsoft is a BIG company that does a lot of things. Some of them bad and some of them *gasp* not so bad.
    I use WindowsXP and linux and I'm happy with both of them for different reasons. I like linux because it COMES with gcc, and gcc can be tweaked to target just about anything under the sun. Linux is also great for networking, which is probably why most of the web servers on the 'net are running it.
   Shit, didn't mean to post yet.
   I meant to continue that, at the same time, Microsoft isn't completely without merits. Frankly, it was kind of nice to set up a LAN in my apartment with IP masquerading running on XP with a few clicks...no troubleshooting, no bullshit, it just works. It's also nice that All of my hardware works to it's fullest potential without any trouble. As far as I know, there are no non-proprietary OSs that support Gforce3, I mean REALLY support Gforce3, for development or otherwise. XP recognizes my Palm synchs without any screwing around.
    Linux is great for a lot of things but, for the time being, so many things are a hassle that SHOULDN'T BE. Getting sound to work on linux, while possible, is a pain in the ass. Getting printers to work under linux, also possible, is a pain in the ass. You can call me an idiot for not being able to get xyz service up and running on a linux box, but I'll come right back and say that IT ALREADY works for me under WindowsXP and I never had to mess with it. My time is valuable, and if "evil" microsoft's products can save me some.I'm all for it. Isn't that what computers are for after all.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
an open discussion
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2001, 11:04 »
Have you ever stopped to consider that this site, fuckmicrosoft.com, is far from unique. There are over a thousand, and those from folks who *actually* go to the trouble to put up a web site. Doesn't this tell you something?

You point out that M$ is a very large corporation; this is true, however, did you ever stop to consider just *how* that happened? Is it because their products are so much better?

The fact is that, though M$ and His Gatesness constantly talk about innovation, that's all it is: talk. Bill Gates passes himself off as God's gift to technology, and as the ultimate ubergeek (even though he "thinks" he can factor prime numbers - he said this in public just a few weeks ago). The fact is that he wouldn't recognize a well-written piece of code if it bit him on the ass. Going all the way back to the mid-1970s, Gates admitted: "...the best way to prepare is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system." This is where he got his ideas: dumpster diving! The pattern never changed one bit:

* MS-DOS: Bought from Tim Paterson

* PC BIOS: Stolen from Gary Kindall's CP/M BIOS

* Windows: An incompetent rip-off of Apple

* Disk Compression: Stolen from Stac Electronics

* Internet Explorer: Hijacked from Spyglass

What they can't steal, hijack, buy, they resort to the use of FUD tactics to destroy.

They have done *nothing* to further true innovation. To the contrary, they have done more harm, delayed more good ideas, and probably set the technology back at least a decade. They destroyed the technically superior DR-DOS by implanting encrypted code that prevented Win 3.1 from working on any system equipped with DR-DOS. Eventually, Caldera was able to sue and receive an out of court settlement, but by then the damage was done.

M$ uses brilliant marketing to convince a general public that is none too tech-savvy that it is normal and natural for computers to crash. There are quite a few folks who've seen my Linux rig and are genuinely surprised to learn that there is no Linux equivalent of the infamous BSOD. M$ has done an outstanding job of convincing the public that bugs are "undocumented features", that insecure systems are the fault of "those hackers" and script kiddies instead of being the result of ill-written, kludgy code. That systems that don't work as advertised are somehow the customer's fault rather than indicating a defective product. Let's face facts here: M$ ran out of ideas six years ago. Windows XP is nothing more than a bloated, kludged up version of Windows 95. And yet, they can still convince an atechnological public that every minor iteration is something grand and glorious.

You mention the trouble you've been having finding printers and sound cards that work with Linux. Here's why. If these companies want to do business with M$, then they are *prevented* from developing drivers for any non-M$ applications. Sure, you can use gcc to develop apps that'll run on any number of platforms and OSs. Can you say the same for Visual BASIC, or Visual Studio? You can't. What M$ has been doing for yaers is virtually giving away to developers programming aids that can be used for writing code that will only run under Windows. Not only that, they also use restrictive licensing to keep developers from supporting anything other than M$. It's similar to how they deal with the OEMs. You want to put Windows on your systems, then you can't offer your customers alternative software. Go into any Circuit City, Best Buy, Costco, etc. and try to buy a Linux rig. This is the source of your problem. It has *nothing* to do with the inherent superiority of Win whatever.

So what can we do? Even the DoJ has proven unable to tame the Beast. We create web sites such as this one in an attempt to wake people up. Perhaps we're just so many voices crying out in the wilderness. However, I seem to recall that another lone voice crying out in the wilderness changed the world.

Live Free or Die: UNIX
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?