Author Topic: Behold new hole!  (Read 1673 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Behold new hole!
« on: 12 May 2004, 05:10 »
It's that time of the month for Microsoft!
Today MS released info about a new important hole in Windows that can allow a hacker to completely take over your PC.    

quote:
A flaw in Microsoft Corp.'s almost universally used Windows operating system could allow hackers to take control of a PC by luring users to a malicious Web site and coaxing them into clicking on a link

Great programming job as always, guys. Keep up the good work!

quote:
To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker would have to host a Web site that contains a Web page used to exploit the vulnerability and then persuade the user to visit the Web site and perform several actions before the attacker could take over a computer

Well ok. I admit this hole is not as dangerous as you may think since one would have to be pretty dumb to click stuff they're unsure of. But does anyone else think that someone's gonna use an older hole in Windows to exploit this one?

Article

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
Behold new hole!
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2004, 05:56 »
my bet: two weeks, mass-mailing worm

solarismka

• Kudos: 0
Behold new hole!
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2004, 01:01 »
I wonder if anyone has an exsample of said exploit.  I wouldn't mind looking into it myself.
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Shiver

• Kudos: 61
Behold new hole!
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2004, 19:36 »
Sounds like another IE hole. Using a real browser might help again.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Behold new hole!
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2004, 18:06 »
quote:
Shiver: Sounds like another IE hole. Using a real browser might help again.

That proves to be difficult. Most people are unwillingly to use something they're not used to.

I once let someone on my computer, and he said "Where's Internet Explorer?". I said "I don't have Internet Explorer.". Now that was funny  :D

savet

• Kudos: 228
Behold new hole!
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2004, 22:20 »
How can your operating system possibly work without internet explorer??  It's just inconceivable....
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Behold new hole!
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2004, 23:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Rio:
How can your operating system possibly work without internet explorer??  It's just inconceivable....

Please be sarcasm  

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Behold new hole!
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2004, 00:25 »
quote:
Rio: How can your operating system possibly work without internet explorer??  It's just inconceivable....

I seriously hope that was a joke  :eek:

savet

• Kudos: 228
Behold new hole!
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2004, 02:24 »
I personally thought the sarcasm was so thick that you'd have to use a cutting torch to get through....but yep...that was a joke  ;)
You're just jealous cause the voices only talk to me...

Shiver

• Kudos: 61
Behold new hole!
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2004, 15:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

That proves to be difficult. Most people are unwillingly to use something they're not used to.

I once let someone on my computer, and he said "Where's Internet Explorer?". I said "I don't have Internet Explorer.". Now that was funny    :D  

Sadly so true. My little brother insists on using IE no matter how much I tell him it's a worthless piece of shit. I always hear the same excuse: "I'm used to it."

I mean, what the hell? What's there to be used to when you open the browser and type the address or choose it from the bookmarks? How difficult can that be?

Changing settings could be different but in my opinion Mozilla, for example, is easier to use.  IE's security options just suck. Why were the cookie options separated from the site sorting in IE 6? It all worked somewhat nicely before when you could set all the security settings in one category and sort sites to normal (all cookies and shit disabled) and trusted (can install stuff on your computer).

Hooray M$ if that's their view on making IE better: even more adjusting of settings and even less people bother doing it and therefore have their system filled with spyware.

[ May 26, 2004: Message edited by: Shiver ]

KernelPanic

• VIP
  • Kudos: 222
Behold new hole!
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2004, 16:18 »
Just use the "I'm big, you're small. I'm right' you're wrong." backed up with a bit of physical abuse maybe  :D
Contains scenes of mild peril.

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Behold new hole!
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2004, 21:20 »
The security holes in windows remind me of the kind of game where you hit a head popping up through a hole and when you have struck that head down another one pops up in another hole. Maybe windows was designed with carnival fairs in mind?  :D
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

zolo

Behold new hole!
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2004, 00:19 »
Put Mozilla on the end of the IE icon so that's what he gets.

He's obviosly too stupid to realise - if by chance he does he won't know how to get his IE back anyway.

zooloo

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Behold new hole!
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2004, 02:04 »
quote:
Shiver: Sadly so true. My little brother insists on using IE no matter how much I tell him it's a worthless piece of shit. I always hear the same excuse: "I'm used to it."

Same here. I guess some people can't believe Internet excists without pop-ups, ActiveX/VBS hijacks and security holes.

When Firefox hits stable, things will get different. It looks like IE, it's faster than IE, it's easier than IE and it's better! The main issue is still plug-in support.

Xeen

• VIP
Behold new hole!
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2004, 18:54 »
quote:
When Firefox hits stable, things will get different. It looks like IE, it's faster than IE, it's easier than IE and it's better! The main issue is still plug-in support.

Another issue is that it takes too long to open and its too fucking slow even on a 500Mhz.