Author Topic: formatting in xp  (Read 599 times)

AngSephirX

• Kudos: 0
formatting in xp
« on: 29 March 2003, 21:41 »
Im trying to format my hard drive that xp is on but I cant find a way to get to a ms-dos prompt.  Does anyone know a way i can rid my computer of this awful os?

Maniaman

formatting in xp
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2003, 22:07 »
Run>cmd.exe
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)

AngSephirX

formatting in xp
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2003, 22:12 »
I cant format the drive in windows because its the drive with windows on it.  I need to be able to get to a dos prompt outside of windows and i cant figure out how to.

LocNar

formatting in xp
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2003, 22:20 »
This is handy info in general. Go to hard drive manufacturer's website (Maxtor, Western Digital, etc.) and download their drive software. Virtually all manufacturers will have some type of (free) program for mainaining/diagnosing/formatting their drive. Execute the program within windows, and it will make a boot floppy. Then boot and format. These programs are great! Good luck!

devlkore

• http://www.sparktasty.tk/
formatting in xp
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2003, 00:54 »
Get a Windows 98 boot disc, I think there is a website like www.bootdisc.org or something, either do that or have a friend with Win98 make one for you.

Then boot up with that and do what the other guy said and format the drive like that.
sono sain wa nihongo desu

mattymanx

formatting in xp
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2003, 08:12 »
Yes, use the Win98 bootdisk...ect

When it comes time to format, use the following command:

format c:/u

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
formatting in xp
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2003, 21:46 »
When you go to install another operating system, it should have an option to delete other partitions (well, any good installer). The only reason I think it would be necessary would be to reinstall windows, in which case i'm sorry, but I won't support that. Just curious, but what is your overall goal?

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
formatting in xp
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2003, 12:12 »
quote:
Im trying to format my hard drive that xp is on but I cant find a way to get to a ms-dos prompt. Does anyone know a way i can rid my computer of this awful os?
With XP, there's no DOS prompt as His Gatesness ditched MS-DOS when this thing came out. As for formatting the HD, I'm guessing you want to replace XP? In that case, just boot up from the new OS's install CD, and ditch the XP parts from its own installer. That's how I got rid of XP on a new system I bought over a year ago: just let Mandrake's installer take care of it. No more XP  

Their fundamental design flaws are completely concealed by their superficial design flaws.
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
formatting in xp
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2003, 18:11 »
[Off-topic]Kunnen jullie dan helemaal niks alleen? Stelletje hufters![/Off-topic]

Hey Refalm, how do I create a MS-DOS bootdisk in Windows XP?

It's easy (when it doesn't crash or being annoying). Insert an empty floppy in your diskdrive. Go to "My computer". Now click with your right mouse button on the floppy icon. Select "Format". Now select "Create MS-DOS bootdisk".

theangelofdeath69

• http://www.kaltemartech.com/
formatting in xp
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2003, 15:30 »
You wont be able to use format c: /u if you made NTFS partition, you'll have to run FDISK first, and you will NEED to run fdisk /mbr to destroy the XP boot loader, and run sys to make the drive bootable
Specifications are for the weak and timid!
You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.
A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment on his code!
Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!